Adding articles to existing books

Discussion in 'wiki development.' started by Richard Watkins, Jun 19, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

I want to add an article to an existing book, but I cannot see any way to do it - all I can see are options to delete and sort. How is it done?

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unless I have the permissions set up wrong, you should see a book tab at the top of each article. Clicking on the tab will open the list of books with radio buttons for each book. Select the one in which you wish to include the article.

3. Richard Watkins

NAWCC Member

OK, found it.

Actually I wanted to add a book to another book. Maybe I will see if I can set up an article that redirects to a book (optimistic?

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can use BOOK namespace references inside any article or any post on the message board. You cannot put a book inside a book. That structure is only one level deep.

If you use the syntax [book]Name of the book[/book] there will be a reference to the book.

You can do similar things with CATEGORY, but in that case you need to use the format [category = "CategoryName"]Words describing the category[/category]. I believe you can use that format for the book reference also, but I have not studied that.

5. Richard Watkins

NAWCC Member

I have tried adding the Waltham Watch Co. book indirectly by using a redirect article set up in Tutorials. It works OK except at the moment the redirect is not automatic.