Adding a Scope to a Levin WW Lathe

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by motormaker, Apr 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. motormaker

motormaker Registered User

Apr 5, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    wefalck likes this.
  2. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Geochemist (Consultant)
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    The sliding rail is a good idea. They can be bought quite cheaply on ebay.

3. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    That is nice very work. I have noticed booms (and high resolution scopes) are getting very hard to find and this offers a needed alternative.

For others who have the room, a boom will be more flexible. There are situations where it is valuable to not look straight down at the work. This includes looking at the work from horizontal to 45 degrees and to perform work where you need to see the face in the collet such as when boring, jeweling, drilling and such. For these latter tasks the scope is turned so that the optical path is parallel to the bed.

This is easily accomplished with the boom. There are also times when it is convenient to turn the scope "upside down" when using it to look at the face of the work in the collet. Plus you can move the boom for use at other small machines like a countertop mill or drill press.

I turn the scope "upside down" when looking at work in my Sherline mill or Levin drill press. I tilt it 15 degrees or so from horizontal to see how I am located and observe the cutting.

Upside down=eyepieces more or less vertical

The disadvantage of a boom is that it takes up horizontal real estate which is always limited..

4. motormaker

motormaker Registered User

Apr 5, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Dewey;
    Agreed. I have a nice B&L zoom boom mounted scope on another machine. Its base is large and heavy. I wanted a portable setup for several specific jobs that I do. The light weight scope fits the bill and everything hooked to the Borel base makes it a breeze to move around. I could machine a fancy mount for the lighter weight scope but that was not the purpose. It works perfectly for what I want to accomplish with it.
    Jim

5. doc_fields

doc_fields Registered User

Sep 29, 2004
    Male
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Greentop, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very well made and practical. I have a similar scope that I bought when I got started years ago. This gives me an idea of how to mount it to my Sherline. Good job!..............................gary