Adamantine- What's the best to use for cleaning

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by tliette, Aug 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tliette

tliette Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I'm sure this question has been asked before but what is the best to use to clean clock cases with Adamantine surfaces? I have several Adamantine clocks and I can't seem to find anything that will bring the gloss back or keep from streaking. It seems everything is geared towards the solid wood finishes. I even Googled it I still can't find anything.

Thanks for any help,
    Ted

2. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. tliette

tliette Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I must say that really opened my eyes, I never thought the proper material to use would be used for auto detailing! I'll have to go out and do some shopping but after I thought about it, it makes a lot of sense. After taking a quick count I have 9 clocks with Adamantine on them. I normally would just keep them dusted but I just bought a clock (a Seth Thomas Alto) that was just filthy dirty. I had originally bought it for the parts but after I got it home I realized it was too nice to tear apart. That's when the cleaning began, I first used New Life Furniture Masque and that cleaned all the dirt and crap off but I needed a way to polish the surface

Thanks so much for the help, you've been a lifesaver!

Again thanks,
    Ted

4. Time After Time

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Time After Time, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    You're very welcome Ted. Good luck with your projects and have fun.

Also, you may find simichrome to be a little on the pricey side. I usually only use it on metal. There are other products that will do a nice job on Adamantine too. Meguiar's Plast-X is almost tailor made and it's less expensive.

5. Chris

Chris Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Clock and phonograph repair
    South Easton, MA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use Meguiar's clear coat swirl remover for Adamantine. I start by getting as much dirt off as I can and then remove any ornaments that come off. Swirl remover has a very fine abrasive that really polishes adamantine up like a piano. Of course, the state of the adamantine affects the final result, too. "Sunburned" adamantine will shine up, but the damage is done and there is no bringing the faded color back. Heavily abused ones may only come back so far as well.

6. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    HVAC, MECHANIC
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you go to an Auto Body & Paint Supply House, they have a "Dye" for plastic door panels & trim. It comes in a spray can in various colors. It might work on your sunburned clocks. I don't know if it will or it won't. If you have a junk clock case you might try it.

7. Chris

Chris Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Clock and phonograph repair
    South Easton, MA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Plastic dyes are basically opaque paint that is for pliable surfaces. Any grain pattern would be covered completely. The only way to possibly get a bit of color would be a transparent dye (like an aniline dye). I suspect they would react poorly to celluloid plastic as it's normally mixed in shellac or another alcohol based finish.

8. Time After Time

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Several coats of black shoe polish covered by a coat or two of clear wax can help restore some color to sun faded black Adamantine. (Works for Marble and Slate too.)
    I know it's a relatively short-term, high maintenance "Fix" but the fact that it is reversible is a good thing as far as conservation is concerned.