Ad Blocking Software

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I just got a popup warning from this message board about my use of an ad blocking device and it's effects on this message board's revenues. Let me be clear about this, I don't care. My blocking device protects me and my systems from malicious software and spyware pushed out by your third party advertisers that you have no control over. You don't even know what they push out to your users nor do they. My information security is more important to me than this or any internet site's revenues.

Eric

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I just got a popup warning from this message board about my use of an ad blocking device and it's effects on this message board's revenues. Let me be clear about this, I don't care. My blocking device protects me and my systems from malicious software and spyware pushed out by your third party advertisers that you have no control over. You don't even know what they push out to your users nor do they. My information security is more important to me than this or any internet site's revenues.

Eric
Have you "checked-off" the Block advertising in your profile page?

A card carrying member, such as you and me, has the option to block advertising on the forums. (I do not believe a non-member has that option.) If your profile page does not have block advertising indicated and your non-NAWCC ad blocking service is activated, perhaps the system is confused.

Just a thought.

Regards.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I got the same warning today as well. And i dont intend to shut it off either.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Things are going to change a bit going forward as the NAWCC realizes what a powerful revenue source advertising can be. You are seeing one of those changes. There's no requirement to turn off your ad blocker. You can simply dismiss the message and go on your way through the message board. It should just be a one time thing, if my understanding is correct. But, note that most ad blockers have settings that allow you to turn off the blocker only for specific sites. So, you should be able to specify that ads are OK only on mb.nawcc.org. We ask that you consider doing this for the good of the organization.

Please keep in mind, the more revenue we can generate from other sources such as advertising, the less we have to generate from membership fees.

Reactions: Jerry Treiman

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Things are going to change a bit going forward as the NAWCC realizes what a powerful revenue source advertising can be. You are seeing one of those changes. There's no requirement to turn off your ad blocker. You can simply dismiss the message and go on your way through the message board. It should just be a one time thing, if my understanding is correct. But, note that most ad blockers have settings that allow you to turn off the blocker only for specific sites. So, you should be able to specify that ads are OK only on mb.nawcc.org. We ask that you consider doing this for the good of the organization.

Please keep in mind, the more revenue we can generate from other sources such as advertising, the less we have to generate from membership fees.
Dave,

Does this mean that an NAWCC member who does not utilize a third party ad blocker will be seeing ads, even if their NAWCC profile page blocks advertising?

Regards.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Dave,

Does this mean that an NAWCC member who does not utilize a third party ad blocker will be seeing ads, even if their NAWCC profile page blocks advertising?

Regards.
We are currently working out the details on that. Note that we have both Google ads and Direct ads (like mine). The policy will probably be different for each.

Every page view gets an effing pop up. Seems like a bad idea.
We are currently experimenting with the implementation. Please bear with us for today.

Reactions: Kevin W.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region

Dave,
I joined the NAWCC because I was using this site and found it useful and felt the need to contribute.

My internet traffic is routed through a separate server to verify any page requested is something I wan't to give access to my system. I either grant access or I don't, it's all or nothing. The problem for me is the ad source. If the ads are hosted by nawcc.org then no problem. If they are hosted off site then they are not allowed.

Eric

Snapper

Nov 30, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Country
Maybe as a non member I am on less than firm ice here, but the fact is I don't want to be bombarded with advertisements when I use the site. I would not attempt to contact any advertiser from a pop up so they are wasted on me anyhow. Yes I use a blocker too for the same reasons as the OP and that won't change.

I use a number of forums for various reasons and this one is the only one pushing ads. What's different?

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Maybe as a non member I am on less than firm ice here, but the fact is I don't want to be bombarded with advertisements when I use the site. I would not attempt to contact any advertiser from a pop up so they are wasted on me anyhow. Yes I use a blocker too for the same reasons as the OP and that won't change.

I use a number of forums for various reasons and this one is the only one pushing ads. What's different?

One huge difference is that pictures here are uploaded to the server so they are a permanent resource for the future. On other forums they are usually links which get broken and not fixable. Here you have a valuable research resource.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I understand that as it relates to posted photographs, but how does this relate to pop-up advertisements?
you asked what the difference was between this and other forums. That difference costs money that other forums don't spend.

Snapper

Nov 30, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Country
All forums cost money, but some avoid advertisements by asking for voluntary donations. I have already indicated my willingness to support the NAWCC forum by this means and I'm sure others too would far prefer that than suffering repeated useless and irritating pop-ups which can present a security risk if ad blockers are disabled.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
I'm not arguing about the advertisements, you gotta do what you gotta do...

I am wondering, however, if the fooling around and programming the message board pop ups and advertisements is what's causing this
. Screenshot_20201008-085533.png

This one actually isn't that bad, sometimes I get portions of threads and everything else that block what I'm actually trying to look at.

It's on my phone, after it started happening a week or so ago (maybe 2), I cleared out a bunch of junk on the phone and uninstalled some apps. This page is the only one it happens to. Maybe it's an adverse effect of your ads, or my phone trying to block your ads? I dunno.

After scrolling up and down it usually goes away. Sometimes not.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Hello everyone,
Please allow me to clarify a few things that have come up in this discussion.

I understand that as it relates to posted photographs, but how does this relate to pop-up advertisements?
First off, we will not do pop-up ads or anything else "in your face". The advertising that we do will be much more subtle and classy. Take a look at WatchUSeek Watch Forums. This is very close to what we are proposing. On that site, all advertising runs along the right side - both Google ads and direct advertising.

you asked what the difference was between this and other forums. That difference costs money that other forums don't spend.
The money generated from advertising does not only support the forums. It supports the entire organization. Very few other forums have an organization as richly populated with research and educational materials as the NAWCC has. This all costs money to maintain. We could raise all the money through membership fees or we can explore alternative sources, as we are doing.

Please believe me that we will not do anything that compromises this amazing forum and the user experience. We will continue to strive to maintain its standing as the best horological forum out there.

Last edited:

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Maybe the ads should be on a Classifieds page like they used to be of old before this insistence on advertisement enforced information tracking age.
If and only if one wants to see ads is the preferred way to have the when we want to see them.

There was a time once when there were no ad breaks in news bulletins.

I recall once telling the Seiko sales rep that yes I would wear the tshirt emblazoned with their brand, if they paid me to wear it rather than ask me to pay to get it.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Speaking as one who buys advertising on this forum, I would not pay (much, anyway) for an advertisement on a separate classified page. Certainly not what I'm paying for my ad in the banner now.

Actually, we sort of have classified pages already and it's free. We have watch parts and clock parts suppliers lists in the watch and clock repair areas.

Last edited:

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I should apologize for my clumsy stab at exploring the adblock detector. We have had the feature installed for a long time, but have been avoiding issues with Google ads by only showing them to people who could not post here because they had not registered or logged in. Because of that we had the detector turned off.

I think we want to develop several classes of promotions. For things we think are worthy and educational, even if promotional, the idea is that it should be visible to everyone but not to the extent that it interferes with the site display. At the next level we have a premium membership of NAWCC dues payers. The intent was for them to not see the ads or the adblocker notification. The third group is our loyal participants who are not NAWCC members. I spend quite a bit of time trying to explain to influential NAWCC members why you folks are so important to us. I thought that perhaps some unobtrusive ads (even some from Google) might be acceptable.

Anyone who feels strongly about ads and threats associated with them is free to continue using their blocker.

I have been noticing that more and more users are using VPN facilities that essentially makes them invisible on the Internet. I believe that makes you almost absolutely safe. It does cause us some problems in trying to understand who is visiting us and why, so we can try to improve our service.

My clumsiness was due to the fact that I have always felt this was a community and we consider everyone's good and bad habits in reacting to them. Please feel free to give me hell whenever it seems appropriate to you, Just do not let it spoil your fun here. :)

George Frick

NAWCC Member
Sep 8, 2016
Country
Region
I may be confused. I thought NAWCC provides no support for these forums. I thought this site was funded by donations only.
Now, it appears NAWCC will use this site to generate revenue for NAWCC, non of which will be used to support this site?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
That is not correct. This site is hosted and maintained by the Information Services staff in Columbia. Our volunteers provide most of the direct support for the forum users. Recently our donations have provided enough income to cover our basic expenses. Other public services from the NAWCC have not done as well during the pandemic.

With the shift in activities from in-person to on-line the NAWCC needs to recognize more income from its on-line services to be able to carry out its 501c3 mission of educating the public about horology and promoting the preservation of horological artifacts and knowledge.

Well managed advertising allows members of our community, who want to invest in horology as their business interest, to promote their business and find customers and clients. We are trying to work out how to best manage that activity.

There are a number of for profit web sites that could provide some of our services to watch collectors and some of those are much more profitable than the NAWCC due to their affiliations with watch manufacturers. I am not aware of any similar service provider for those interested in clocks rather than watches or interested in other, less trafficked, areas of horology. We are trying to provide valuable services to those people and encouraging them to support the NAWCC.

George Frick

NAWCC Member
Sep 8, 2016
Country
Region
That is not correct. This site is hosted and maintained by the Information Services staff in Columbia. Our volunteers provide most of the direct support for the forum users. Recently our donations have provided enough income to cover our basic expenses. Other public services from the NAWCC have not done as well during the pandemic.

With the shift in activities from in-person to on-line the NAWCC needs to recognize more income from its on-line services to be able to carry out its 501c3 mission of educating the public about horology and promoting the preservation of horological artifacts and knowledge.

Well managed advertising allows members of our community, who want to invest in horology as their business interest, to promote their business and find customers and clients. We are trying to work out how to best manage that activity.

There are a number of for profit web sites that could provide some of our services to watch collectors and some of those are much more profitable than the NAWCC due to their affiliations with watch manufacturers. I am not aware of any similar service provider for those interested in clocks rather than watches or interested in other, less trafficked, areas of horology. We are trying to provide valuable services to those people and encouraging them to support the NAWCC.
Tom, I appreciate the information. I now have a little better understanding of how things tie together. Thank you.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment