Actual Beats per Hour is +10 over the wheel Count!!!

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
I am baffled. After verifying the wheel count on a Jauch 3-Train, the BPH should be 4052.14. But I noticed at that rate, it was losing time slightly. So using a Microset Timer, I did a beat count for precisely 9 hours: (starting from the release of the 4th qtr chime and ending at the point 9 hours later). After dividing the total beats by 9, I get 4061 actual BPH :???: The hands are tight - no center arbor slippage here. Any thoughts why it needs an additional 9 beats each hour? thank You, Bill

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
I am baffled. After verifying the wheel count on a Jauch 3-Train, the BPH should be 4052.14. But I noticed at that rate, it was losing time slightly. So using a Microset Timer, I did a beat count for precisely 9 hours: (starting from the release of the 4th qtr chime and ending at the point 9 hours later). After dividing the total beats by 9, I get 4061 actual BPH :???: The hands are tight - no center arbor slippage here. Any thoughts why it needs an additional 9 beats each hour? thank You, Bill

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
This is not unusual. Even though the hands seem to have enough tension, sometimes, in fact, there is not enough tension on the center shaft to turn the starwheel forcing the chime train to unlock without some slippage on the part of the center shaft. You might also see if there is some extraordinary friction reuiring the unlocking of the chime train- smooth and grease all the levers that are sliding, etc.

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
I have a strong suspicion that the reason for the nine extra pendulum strokes over the nine hour period will be evident if you connect the MicroSet timer to a computer to graph and observe the short-time accuracy of the Jauch chime clock.

I think you'll see inconsistent variation in the rate over short periods of an hour or less.

The force of the driving weight changes slightly over a period of a day due to the weight of the chain.

Too, temperature shifts over an eight hour run will affect the rate.

The simple infra-red optical interrupter is somewhat affected by ambient light; sunlight especially.

I don't think a variation of nine pendulum strokes out of a total of over 36,000 is significant error for a chime clock movement on the workbench.

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
Mark and Les...Thank You! My brain was thinking gears don't slip. But, I was not considering about the extra force required to release the chime lock, which may cause some slippage. I have lubricated all sliding levers. Les, this movement when graphed with the Microset has an instability of 9 seconds per day which I attribute to the chime release. Now that I've bumped it up to 4061 BPH, it seems to be holding perfectly. Thank You again, Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steraser
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry