Abused Seth Thomas

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by CameraGuy32, Oct 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CameraGuy32

CameraGuy32 Registered User

Apr 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I got a call from a customer to have a look at a Seth Thomas Grandfather that would only run for a short time, then stop. When I got there, customer explained that they received it as a wedding gift in 1980, and went to the factory to pick it out. Factory delivered the next week, and he had all the paperwork to prove this. He said that it only ran about 2 years, and had spent more time in the shop than in his house. Movement was swapped out for a brand new one 5 years ago. The jewelry store also gave him a can of "high quality clock oil" and said that he should oil it every 2 months. He produced a can of Marvel Mystery Oil, which he said he was faithfully using every 2 months. Just pouring it on everything. When I explained that it would have to come out for evaluation, he didn't want to go that route, and would I be interested in buying the clock. $50 later I'm home with a Seth Thomas in a beautiful case. Inspection shows first that it's still the original movement. It's a Seth Thomas with a October 1979 date code. They charged him for a new movement 5 years ago, and never installed it. Inside is just a goopy mess, but none of the pivots seem worn at all. I'm sure that will look different once it is apart. One strange thing is that the cams that lift the hammers for the chime side are all worn down to a nub. I've never seen with brass on brass. Well now I have my winter project lined up. Here's a few photos of the movement as I removed it.

A403-1.JPG A403-2.JPG A403-3.JPG

2. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is the Jewelry Store still in business? Also sounds like an "Abused Customer".
    Maybe post progress photos here if you have the time?
    Good luck with your winter project.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow, that beat adjuster on the back is sure maxed out! I'd let the customer know that they were robbed by the jewelry store. Especially if they were charged for a new movement.
    Take away his oil! :D

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Well, you did get a really nice hair ball in the deal (on the chime fly pinion). BTW, that clock ran way more than 2 years.
    WIllie X

breeze likes this.
  5. CameraGuy32

CameraGuy32 Registered User

Apr 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The jewlery store is out of business. I really can't see the point in letting the customer know, as it wouldn't serve any purpose at this time other than to upset them. The hairball locked up the chime, but looks like the drum kept rotating, and that wiped out the bottom of the hammers. They actually gave me the oil with the clock! Starting to take it apart this weekend. Photos to follow.
    Steve

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could always offer them a new movement at nominal profit to yourself ..... if you wanted to be extra nice to them :)

7. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Probably just committing crimes under a different name now. :cop: