Abraham Lincoln's Watch?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Barry G, Apr 27, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Barry G

Barry G Guest

According to Shugart, "Abraham Lincolm owned & carried a 'William Ellery' model, silver-cased, key wind, 11 jewels, serial no. 67613, so stated Carl Sandburg in his biography of Lincoln. The watch was produced by A.W.W.Co. in Jan.-Feb., of 1863 & was 18 size, 1859 3/4 plate model with a steel balance."

When I look up no. 67613 in the Waltham Serial Number and Grade list, however, I see it listed as a Model 1857 full plate and not as a Model 1859 3/4 plate. I realize the list is full of inaccuracies, and one of these days I've got to get a copy of the handwritten records for the early watches, but can anybody confirm what type of watch Abraham Lincoln actually owned?

Regards,

Barry

------------------
    My Online Pocket Watch Collection

2. Barry G

Barry G Guest

According to Shugart, "Abraham Lincolm owned & carried a 'William Ellery' model, silver-cased, key wind, 11 jewels, serial no. 67613, so stated Carl Sandburg in his biography of Lincoln. The watch was produced by A.W.W.Co. in Jan.-Feb., of 1863 & was 18 size, 1859 3/4 plate model with a steel balance."

When I look up no. 67613 in the Waltham Serial Number and Grade list, however, I see it listed as a Model 1857 full plate and not as a Model 1859 3/4 plate. I realize the list is full of inaccuracies, and one of these days I've got to get a copy of the handwritten records for the early watches, but can anybody confirm what type of watch Abraham Lincoln actually owned?

Regards,

Barry

------------------

3. Rick White

Rick White Guest

Barry,
    We discussed this a while ago I don't know if this old thread will help. I hope it does http://www.nawcc.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000820.html

BTW I never got a response from the museum, I also never followed up on a second query.

------------------
    Rick White

4. Barry G

Barry G Guest

Thanks for the link, Rick. Honest Abe apparently owned more than one pocket watch over the years. An acquaintence of mine contacted the Chicago museum and was told that the watch they have on display is Swiss and is therefore not the Waltham that Shugart [and presumably Sandburg] refers to.

Barry

------------------

5. Harold Visser

Harold Visser Registered User

Aug 24, 2000
    Scottsdale
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Charles W. Moore's book "Timing a Century" shows a William Ellery 11j hunter case as the watch Lincoln carried.This was according to Moore, and I quote,
    "authenticated by Dennis F. Hanks 1891". I have no idea who Hanks is, but I believe Moore was pretty meticulous with his facts,
    so as far as I am concerned a mdl.57 William Ellery is what Lincoln carried.
    Harold

6. Whit Joyner

Whit Joyner Registered User

Mar 8, 2001
    Lincoln's mother was Nancy Hanks. According to a Lincoln biographer, Wm. M. Thayer, Dennis Hanks was a slightly older cousin of Abe, reared with him as a step-brother and playmate.

No word given on whether Hanks was a horologist.