About an acquaintance's non-working "new" old clock...

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Friendofclocks, Sep 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Friendofclocks

Friendofclocks Registered User

Dec 1, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi everybody,

I learned, a few days ago, that a neighbor had acquired this clock (do you call the style "Bavarian"? - I forgot) from someone unloading old possessions; don't even know what, if anything, was paid for it (my impression either very cheap or free; he's extremely casual about it) IMG_2232.JPG . I told him I would post here a picture and inquire what to try (including what to look for as to possible minor DIY steps not requiring significant tech knowledge) to get it running; I told him the most basic issues are a) is it in beat, b) does it need cleaning and oiling; I said if it's merely (a) I could handle that; if (b) he needs a technician. I said I could come over and see if there was anything extremely non-technical, like an obviously loose part to be tightened. Bottom line, I said I won't do anything to risk worsening its condition, but would inquire at NAWCC on all aspects (identification and any simple, relatively non-invasive measures).

Thanks for anything you can say about the clock (don't mince words; if trash, be blunt), and what I might look at/try to get it running based on the limited information. He has no idea the last time it has run.

Thanks so much as always!

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    if he has no idea when the last time it was run, it needs servicing.

positive identification would probably require photos of the movement... how comfortable are you pulling the hands and dial for photos?

3. Friendofclocks

Dec 1, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Bruce!
    100% comfortable; if you and others think it worthwhile to take off the dial and take some movement photos I'll certainly do that! I thought for preliminaries I'd post what the neighbor sent me (the one photo + what I said); of course I can get deeper with a visit.

Am I correct to assume it's a fairly ordinary clock, German made, non-Becker/Junghans, from somewere btwn 1870-1940?

Thanks as always!
    Andrew

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    photos would (possibly) help determine manufacturer... btw, why do you say 'non'becker/junghans?

also... a look at the movement would give you at least a quick idea of how gungey the pivot holes are, if there are any obvious issues or hideous repairs, etc.

always look under the hood! :cool:

5. Friendofclocks

Dec 1, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:

6. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like there is a HAU/HAC crossed arrows logo on the dial

7. Friendofclocks

Dec 1, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks so much; can you say what that means in terms of age/quality; are these cheaper/mass produced, or more valuable-artisan? Obviously we're at square 1 (well, 1.5, now) on everything.

8. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I, too, see the crossed arrows of Hamburg American ("HAC") on the dial.

I would describe the clock as a "Vienna style wall clock".

Looking forward to see pictures of the backplate of the movement. Perhaps we can narrow the date of manufacture based on those pictures.

Regards.

9. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also see the crossed arrows of HAC. I would consider this a nice clock worth servicing, considering the case appears to be complete and in good shape.