A wonderful idea!

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Willie X, Nov 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I am overhauling an old Hamburg American wall clock and ran across this adjustable maintence wheel setup. Sure would make assembly easier if every clock had one or two of these spring loaded clutches.
    WIllie X
    20191112_161233.jpg

2. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 woodlawndon, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Haven't seen one before.
    Don

3. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's interesting.

I wonder how many of us mentally contrive improvements in these antique mechanical movements we repair. Certainly most of them could have used an innovation here and there.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You would think something like that would catch on .... but money is always the issue and it probably didn't seem cost effective at the time.

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The advantage is for the repair person but not so much for the manufacturer.

Uhralt

6. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The reason I was amused is that the manufacturers are long dead, as are their prospective customers. We're merely repairing the ruins of their civilization.

7. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many times when repairing movements I have thought, why would you do that, why did they put that there, why is this so complicated, I guess and only a guess, is that they all wanted to patient or get past someone else's patient so they added something to make it a bit different so not to infringe?
    Another bug bare is the mantel clock case, why did they not make the back door opening a little larger?

8. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Patents were indeed a big deal in the golden age of the mechanical clock. Some of them were clever: I think it's Gilbert that has a spiral face cam to hoist the pendulum suspension up or down for regulation.

And yes, the back doors of tambour clocks were always way too small. It would have made more sense to provide access from the bottom, but the bottoms of these clocks were always the sounding board for the strike/chimes and thus had to be left undisturbed.

Mark Kinsler