A.Willmann & Co Regulators

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by MQ32shooter, Dec 3, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: A.W. & Co 1/SCHL with Brass Bell base

What marks??

2. romad10

romad10 Registered User

May 4, 2013

assuming there would be makers marks on it.. sorry.

3. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I thought you already gave us the makers mark, from which I identified it?

4. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Romad, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board and thanks for posting your inquiry and the photos of your clock. Also, for the history of the clock's provenance and that it apparently has come down through the family since it was purchased new.

Firstly, your clock is a typical German-style alarm clock but with the special bell and stand that has been added to the case. These clocks have been found with dial logos by Kienzle, Gustav Becker, Junghans, and others. They also will have the name and/or logo stamped on the back cover, but the key to who actually made the movement is that most of these will have a maker's name or logo stamped on the back plate of the movement. That can be seen only by removing the back clover, and in some instances there will be no mark. I raise this point because I have documented clocks with Kienzle and Junghans logos on the dials that had movements made by Gustav Becker, who made nearly a million of these identical movements.

Harold has correctly identified who sold your clock, being A. Willmann & Co. Freiburg, Silesia. That comes from the information you provided in your first post:

A. W. & Co.FREIBURG I/SCHL

At the time your clock was made, Willmann was not using any kind of company logo but just stamping their name and city on the back of their clocks exactly as you have described. They also are known to have used consecutive serial numbering for their clocks, from which we can determine the exact year any given clock was made. Our database includes clocks with patent numbers, presentation inscriptions, and other information that gives us confirmation of "no earlier than" or "no later than" dates.

You also mentioned there is a serial number of 10xxxx, but didn't provide the complete number. Roughly speaking, assuming the serial number was actually assigned by Willmann (see final note) this would show your clock was made in the late 1890's, probably between 1895 and 1899. The Willmann company was merged with Gustav Becker and five other companies in June 1899 and ceased to exist as an independent company at that time. We have been documenting Willmann clocks for some years, and so far the highest serial number found is 110662 most likely finished shortly after the merger.

Depending on the third and fourth digits of your serial number, it could have been less than a year older than that clock or as much as four to five years older. By knowing the complete serial number we can provide you with the actual year it was made, which hopefully would correspond with the time the clock was purchased by your wife's great-grandfather. What we usually find is that most clocks are sold within a year after they were made.

As I mention above, there could be a possibility the clock movement was made by Gustav Becker or another maker, however the only way to determine that is to open the clock by removing the back cover. That can be easily done by an experienced clockmaker, which I would recommend be employed to service the clock at the time it is opened. With that information we should be able to provide you with much more information and even better confirmation as to when the clock was made.

5. prideofmatchingham

prideofmatchingham Registered User

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    Re: Help Identify This Unmarked Two Weight Vienna Regulator: Lenzkirch?

HAHA SJ, no question of life and death. Just wondering if I was lucky that day or not!

6. romad10

romad10 Registered User

May 4, 2013

John, thx for the awesome response, I know the wife and her family is going to be very excited to get some insight on it. Her Father knew the story much better than those that are left behind. the S/N as stamped is 106166.

Is this clock desirable as far as these types of clocks are concerned? Was it a "high end" clock in its day, or just a standard clock that everyone owned? Would it be worth getting functional, by someone that is qualified to work on something like this? I think it would be a very cool operational piece to have.

Ill pull the back cover off sometime in the near future and take some pics... the bell ringer mechanism (can see from the bottom) is a , what appears to be a wooden "hammer" with a 2 ended nail that runs through it...

thx again everyone.. J

7. Sergei

Sergei Registered User

Feb 26, 2012
    pensioner
    Republik of Belarus
    Country Flag:

You certainly are lucky, you got a nice watch. A Lenzkirh necessarily, it's inevitable.

Best regards.
    Sergei.

8. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Welcome, Romad.
    Well adding to what John has already said, these alarm clocks were called "Eisenbahner Wecker"
    in German and I believe they originally came from French makers and were then copied by the
    German makers. The clocks came with short pedulums or platform escapements and were intended
    as travel alarms.
    However, I do think that your clock was altered and the bell attached later. There was a surge in
    trying to make those critters as loud as it could get, just before WW 1.

9. romad10

romad10 Registered User

May 4, 2013

Soaringjoy, thx much for the info as well.. its pretty cool that all of you guys hang out here and are willing to spread your knowledge.. it really makes for an interesting story of how this alarm clock came about...

keep the info coming :)

10. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

POM, could you please post a photo showing the bottom end of the crutch rod with beat adjusting screw as a close-up, and also included with the complete back plate of the movement? Willmann clocks had a very distinct design of the adjusting cross-screw and support, if yours has that same design I think we may be able to conclude it is a Willmann.

11. prideofmatchingham

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:

166337.jpg 166338.jpg 166339.jpg 166342.jpg 166340.jpg 166341.jpg 166344.jpg 166336.jpg

John, pictures as requested.
    Regards
    POM

12. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Looks like Mr Albert IMO.

13. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #163 John Hubby, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018

POM, thanks very much for the photos. I'm now posting two different A. Willmann movements, one made before yours and one after if the serial numbers do correspond to your clock being by Willmann:

166528.jpg 166529.jpg These two clock movements are as close to identical to POM's movement as anything I've seen. Note that every feature is identical . . the train layouts; the gong hammers; the pivot bridge on the strike train fan arbor; the hole in the center of the back plate, the anchor arbor/crutch bridge; the font, size, and placement of the serial numbers; the pendulum crutch banking pin size and placement; and finally the design, size, and shape of the pendulum crutch especially the rating cross-thread holder.

While nothing is absolute, in this instance I believe it can be stated that there is a high degree of certainty that POM's movement was made by A. Willmann & Co. That being the case, the serial number 75449 would place it being made about 1896 or perhaps a little earlier. As it happens, this clock falls exactly between the time that Willmann stopped using their fancy crown with clock dial logo and started stamping just their name and location on the back plates, as "A. Willmann & Co. Freiburg i/S", lending even more credit to its probable origin as a transition clock between these two markings.

One question, does your clock have a case? From the photos it appears to have only the back board.

14. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Sergei, thanks for posting the Willmann movement photo. Could you provide the missing digit of the serial number (751X5)? Also, if you have photos of the complete clock it would be much appreciated if you could post those here also.

15. prideofmatchingham

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:

John, no case. You know I am a poor man. Can only afford the ones which arent complete! The cost of shipment of a complete clock with case may be many times over the cost of the clock itself. So I always (try to) pour cold water on my ambition to own ALL original by having some realism and buy the movements and make (imperfect) cases as per my own whims and fancy and think that I have done my duty towards Horology!(In the present case also, the movement costed me X and its shipment to India 2X!)
    POM

16. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

So, we have a collection of naked Willmanns :) .
    Another, from KMZiZ forum, with typical for this producer amazing hands:
    166544.jpg 166545.jpg 166543.jpg

"Tiger" case isn't original...

166546.jpg

17. Sergei

Sergei Registered User

Feb 26, 2012
    pensioner
    Republik of Belarus
    Country Flag:

Hi John.
    Unfortunately I only have a picture of this mechanism, where some rooms are not visible. There is a photo on the reverse side, there are photos of one or two mechanisms of this factory. There is a photo Villman hours, but I do not know what the mechanism is room in this case.
    I hope I can help you.

Best regards.
    Sergei. 166548.jpg 166549.jpg

18. prideofmatchingham

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:

Wonder if these Wilmanns had any Willing-women!

By the way, how good or bad is the quality of these clocks?

19. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

POM, none of the clocks of this genre were "cheap". All were pretty much high grade, more or less.

20. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

After some time has gone by, I think the bottom part may have been a counter bell, reception bell, etc.

21. David B Pendley

David B Pendley Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Help ID this Vienna Regulator?

Hi, Can someone help me id this 2 wt Vienna Regulator? It needs a lot of work but looks to be a fairly well made movement. Thanks. 171600.jpg 171601.jpg 171602.jpg 171603.jpg

22. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Help ID this Vienna Regulator?

David, thanks for posting. Your clock was made by A. Willmann & Co about 1891 based on the serial number and the logo design. That particular "Crown with Clock Dial" logo was registered that year, I have one other clock with a slightly lower serial number that has the same logo, none prior to that but several later.

Do you have photos of the rest of the clock? Case, dial, movement mounting bracket, etc. would be appreciated for full identification.

23. David B Pendley

NAWCC Business

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thank You John. I'll try to get some more photos this weekend.

24. David B Pendley

NAWCC Business

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Sorry for the delay hope this helps. 172720.jpg 172721.jpg 172722.jpg 172723.jpg Thanks again!

25. VISTAIDSO

VISTAIDSO New Member

Aug 4, 2013
    trademark id

175922.jpg

Can anyone identify this trademark?

26. Sergei

Sergei Registered User

Feb 26, 2012
    pensioner
    Republik of Belarus
    Country Flag:
    Re: trademark id

Good evening.
    Probably is a trademark factory Willmann.
    Best regards.
    Sergei. 175927.jpg

27. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
  28. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Vistaidso, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board and thanks for your inquiry and the photo of your clock trademark. I will confirm that it is made by the A. Willmann Co. as already pointed by Sergei and Steven. Based on the serial number, the movement was made about 1892 using the information from my Willmann database.

The movement is a two-train spring driven time and strike on the hour and half-hour, with count wheel striking control. It will be very much appreciated if you could post photos of your complete clock including full photos of the movement back, the case front, dial, pendulum, and movement support bracket and gong inside the case. That will help to fully document your clock and we will likely be able to provide additional information regarding the clock type, case design, and other features.

We will look forward to seeing more, thanks in advance.

29. VISTAIDSO

VISTAIDSO New Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Re. Id identity

Thank you for your responses. There is one oddity on the trademark I posted. It is hard to see because the impression is not distinctive, but the time set on the clock is not the same.

30. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks for your observation regarding the difference in time set of the logo on your clock compared to the one posted by Steven. I have found this variance also on other clocks but it is still a Willmann logo.

We will look forward to seeing photos of the rest of your clock so it can be properly documented for you. It will also show our users another example of a Willmann clock to help them recognize this maker.

31. panmandon

panmandon Registered User

Jun 26, 2013
    Please help, who is the maker and possible clock date

Hi,
    Can you help me identify the maker and date this movement, please.
    I think it is Willmann & Co., Freiburg/Schlesien. I know nothing about this maker, how would you rate the quality of his clocks? 192245.jpg

32. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Re: Please help, who is the maker and possible clock date

I agree that it may be the mark of the earlier A. Willmann & Co. (1871 - ca. 1901). Could we see the whole movement and the clock it came from, is available?

33. panmandon

Jun 26, 2013

hi, I added two pictures, hopyfully it helps. Thank you all in advance. 192259.jpg 192264.jpg

34. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Panmandon, thanks for posting your Willmann clock. Based on the serial number my database shows it was made about 1893. I will appreciate if you could confirm the fourth digit of the serial number, I've guessed it is a "6" but could be "0" or another number. That won't change when it was made but it will be good to have the correct number in our data. The trademark on your clock was first registered in 1891, although probably used for a while before that.

Willmann quality is similar to Gustav Becker, as is the quality of the other Becker "children" companies that were formed by former employees of Becker. They include Boehm, Borussia, Concordia, Endler, and Germania, and they basically copied Becker designs for their own production with a few details changed.

Willmann was formed in 1871 and merged with Gustav Becker in June 1899 as part of the major restructuring of Freiburg makers to become Vereinigte Freiburger Uhrenfabriken (United Freiburg Clockfactories) usually referred to as VFU incl. vorm. Gustav Becker. That was the formal company name however "all" production , sales, and other operations after that date went under the name Gustav Becker. All the other trade names died with the merger.

There is confusion about the Willmann company, because shortly after its merger with Becker, a GB director Paul Kappler then registered a new company under the same Willmann name in 1901 but using the trademark "Non-Plus Ultra". This second Willmann company was only in business a couple of years, being taken over by E. R. Schlenker who continued producing clocks under the Non-Plus Ultra trademark until about 1905, that operation was then folded into Schlenker & Kienzle.

35. panmandon

Jun 26, 2013

John,
    You are correct, the fourth digit is 6, so the full serial number is 45766. Thank you very much for all the information you provided.
    In your opinion, does clock's case and movement belong together?

36. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #186 soaringjoy, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2018

Panmandon, I don't see why case and movement should not belong together; it looks plausible to me.
    For the records, not all clock producers of the time had their own carpentry shops, so they bought cases
    from specialized companies.
    For instance, for Freiburg/Silesia, there were more than one dozen companies listed, that made clock cases in 1904 (!)

97817.jpg

37. barrance

barrance Registered User

Jan 25, 2014
    Anyone recognise this Vienna clock maker?

I purchased a nice looking vienna clock recently i took the movement out to replace the gut i noticed the makers mark on the movement but it was not familiar to me, i have trawled through various sites trying to identify it but have had no luck , anyone got any ideas :???: 193170.jpg 193171.jpg

38. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  39. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Anyone recognise this Vienna clock maker?

Barrance, Harold has correctly identified your clock as being made by A. Willmann & Co. of Freiburg, Silesia. Based on the serial number it was completed in early 1880 so you have a clock made in the first decade of Willmann production. This company was formed in 1871 by ex-employees of Gustav Becker and the movements of their clocks have a lot of similarity to Becker movements. The logo on your clock was used from 1880 to 1887 based on the clocks I have documented thus far.

It would be appreciated if you could provide photos of the complete movement of your clock and also the movement support bracket and gong that are mounted on the backboard of the case.

40. barrance

barrance Registered User

Jan 25, 2014

Hello John i shall take some photographs and upload them thanks for your information and also to Harold too its much appreciated.

41. barrance

barrance Registered User

Jan 25, 2014

194069.jpg 194070.jpg 194071.jpg 194072.jpg I ve taken some photographs of the support bracket and some of the movement did you want some frontal ones to John?

42. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #192 klokwiz, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    A. Willman & Co. Vienna Regulator Clock

Here is my recent estate sale find. Have been wanting one of these,I am fortunate to find one so nice and unmolested. Original finish, some warping of top wood causing it to interfer with opening of door (rubs top) All of the pieces were there, just a little loose glued up nicely with a little hide glue. Original glass, IMO. it measures 49 inches tall 18 wide. Movement marked A. W. & Co., serial number is #14044. Made repair to hanger, it was a disaster waiting to happen. Please let me know if anyone has questions or can help with info. thanks, Joe. 199987.jpg 199988.jpg 199989.jpg 199990.jpg 199991.jpg 199992.jpg 199993.jpg 199994.jpg 199995.jpg 199996.jpg

43. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006
    Re: A. Willman & Co. Vienna Regulator Clock

Greetings klokwiz,

realy a great find, congrats!

As you propably know, Willmann in 1899/1900 was merged to "Vereinigte Freiburger Uhrenfabriken incl. vormals G. Becker" (VFU). The factory buildings of Willmann were after the merge the joinery for the clock cases of the VFU. For more information about Willmann see the entry in the "Lexikon".

There are no sources about the serial numbers of Willmann, but I would say your clock was made about 1895/1900. And the logo on your movement is quite rare. The common logo of Willmann was the logo of the 2 lions with a clock.

albra

44. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Albra,

Thanks for your reply. Looking forward to taking movement down for much needed cleaning. So far have found spring on wrong side of rack so it doesnt return.

Having not collected these I am not very knowlegable on german clocks. I hope to learn more, I am not familiar with what you mean by "lexikon" tried searching posts. what is it?

Joe.

45. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

Joe, the "Lexikon" is a source about all German clock and watch factories: The history of the firms, as well all tradenames and logos. Two volumes with together about 1000 pages. Here a review:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?86884-Review-Lexikon-Der-Deutschen-Uhrenindustrie-1850-1980

Willmann was one of the biggest clock factories in Silesia. See this ad about 1898 and on this ad, you see all the logos of Willmann.

200007.jpg

Enjoy!

albra

46. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Albra,

Well I'll be, what a book. Feel a little silly asking the question but it's amazing the things you find out by asking. I learned to stop nodding my head yes and ask. thanks for sharing

Joe.

47. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006

Joe, it was my fault. Since you already knew that your clock is made by Willmann, I had assumed that you are familiar with German clocks.

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that your clock has already been exported to the year 1900 after the United States (you can see it on the stamp!). Very many German clocks are only passing through returning GIs in the USA, but not your clock. I didn´t know, that Willmann exported their clocks even to the USA.

Congratulations again! An exceptional clock and even with a bit of history ...

albra

48. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Joe, thanks very much for posting your clock. As Albra has already stated it is a superb example of the Willmann product and deserves the care that you are taking to restore it to its full beauty.

With regard to dating and serial number information, I will post some basic information I have developed including a serial number summary, sequence of logos, and other comments regarding the features of Willmann clocks.
    I started building a serial number database for Willmann clocks about five years ago, to complement my work on Gustav Becker and the GB "children" companies that were founded in Freiburg by ex-employees of GB. This does not yet include a large number of clocks, however the number is statistically significant because the ones I have documented cover effectively the full time of operation of the A. Willman & Co. business from founding in 1871 until its merger with GB and others in June 1899. Serial numbers documented to date are from 6470 to 110662, indicating that Willmann made in the order of 112,000 clocks based on statistical analysis of these numbers compared to other makers whom I have much more extensive data.

Basically, I have reached the following preliminary conclusions:
    • Willmann used a sequential serial numbering system for all their clocks, in the same manner as Gustav Becker. I expect they started with a low number in 1871, e.g. 1001 or perhaps lower, and proceeded sequentially until they stopped production when merged with GB in June 1899. In addition I have more than sufficient data to show that Concordia, Endler, and Germania followed a sequential serial numbering system, but I don't have enough data to conclude whether Böhm, Borussia, Kappel, or Urania used this same system. However, being that all these companies were founded by tradesmen who worked with and learned the Gustav Becker system it would be logical to presume they did as well.
    • The Willmann logos were used sequentially in time and in conjunction with the serial numbers with little or no overlap. Here is the sequence as now shown by my data:
      (1871-1879) "A. W. & Co. Freiburg i. Sch.", or "A W u Co" written out.

(1880-1886) A. W. & Co. Freiburg i Schles. stamped underneath a large crown (same as the clock in this thread)

(1887-1890) Stamp of the large crown only, no letters or names. Same logo as the one on lower left of the 1898 advertisement.
      200054.jpg

(1891-1895) Stamp of the large crown with a clock dial, logo at upper right of the 1898 advertisement. This logo was trademarked in 1891, may have been used earlier.
      200053.jpg

(1896-1899) The name A. Willmann & Co. Freiburg i. Schles. stamped in a circle.
      200052.jpg

Note that the double lion logo for Willmann has not yet been found on any clock I have documented. Based on virtually the same logo being used by GB my judgement is that logo was used in the 1890's only, perhaps from about 1892 to 1897 or 1898.
    • Willmann clocks used only two hand designs that I have documented to date, from the 1870's to their merger with GB in June 1899. Here are the two:
      200055.jpg 200056.jpg Both hand designs have been documented across the full time that Willmann clocks were produced. The hands in the first photo are the same as the hands on Joe's clock, and my data show that about 85% of all the Willman clocks have these hands and many of them have this same dial as well. It is a very distinctive design that I have not found on other makers' clocks, but not yet to say it is exclusive only to Willmann. The hands in the second dial I also have not seen on other makers' clocks, the distinction is a small "cross" right at the bottom of the fancy cut-out design of both the hour and minute hands. No other hands have been found as yet, not even the typical Vienna style hands found on the majority of other makers' clocks.

I am sure that more information will be developed as we find additional Willmann clocks to add to the database. For example, I can show there are unique part designs such as the pendulum crutch and the design of the anchor arbor pivot bridge, also the movement support brackets used, that together with the other items I have discussed above are clear identifiers not only that a given clock was made by Willmann, but also when it was made.

Albra, with regard to the "Made in Germany" stamp on Joe's case, I had the same conclusion as you that it was there due to the clock being exported to the U.S. There is an anomaly, however, because the serial number of Joe's clock indicates the movement was made about the end of 1880 using the dating correlation I have constructed with the data now available. I believe the "Made in Germany" stamp was a requirement of a 1891 U.S. tariff law, but don't know if such stamps already were being used prior to that law's enactment. The movement support bracket is not a help, as this same design was used from the beginning until the end and the one in Joe's clock looks original to the case. The thing is that an 1880 movement would readily fit into a case made in the early 1890's since the size and the support brackets were exactly the same. Perhaps the case design itself might hold a clue but there was simply too much overlap of styles to say that any one design was limited to a narrow time frame.

In summary: Joe's clock appears to be all original with a possible question about the time when the Made in Germany stamp found on the case was actually used. Per my present data correlation, the movement was made in late 1880; I believe this accurate to +/- 2 years. The hands, dial, movement support bracket, and other mechanical features are all identical to other Willmann clocks documented to date.

49. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hat's off from another purveyor and lover of the Vienna. Indeed you were very fortunate to score such a find with rich history and beautiful to boot. It's a BIG'n! Congrats and thanks for sharing.

50. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Scottie, thanks!

John, It is a pleasure to come across someone as dedicated and willing to share and expand on our enjoyment and knowlege of these mechanical treasures. Please let me know if you need any additional information or pictures to aid your research.

Joe.