A Weighty Question

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by George Nelson, Apr 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Oct 5, 2007
    Male
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, All,

Recently in my never-ending perusal of all things antique wood works clocks on our beloved Internet, I'm seeing more and more thirty hour weights with similar white labels on them, as shown in the attached picture. In fact, I have a few myself. All of these labels are now blank due to age and wear, and all seem almost identical: thin, very firmly attached to the weight, with a flat, glossless surface and no trace of adhesive or glue around the corners and edges. The label paper is so thin, however, that it appears as if painted on, but is not. The labels refuse any removal technique, including soaking, peeling or even chemical paint stripper.

Now I'm beginning to wonder- could these labels be original? I've seen so many lately. My notes tell me I've encountered thirteen pairs in the last month and a half. Surely this amount of "sightings" means something, doesn't it? But what? I'm guessing that the labels marked time and strike sides, or left and right. But no printed label directions in any clock I've seen refer to labels on the weights...

Any thoughts or help will be much appreciated!

Warmest regards to all,

George 301662.jpg

2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had concluded that it was some sort of residual wrapping or packing material for shipping and not an informative label. but it would be very fun to hear otherwise.

3. Troy Livingston

Troy Livingston Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Aerospace Stress Engineer
    Melrose, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like residue from tape, perhaps someone had a stash of weights taped in pairs. I have seen similar marks left on objects.
    It has been a while but I don't remember any solvent being particularly good at removing the stuff. Perhaps Goo Gone? Otherwise you will probably have to resort to harsher methods, heat or a fine bristled wire brush.

Troy

4. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would think a mild flame would take care of it at least to the point of being able to easily get the rest off with a nylon or wire brush after it is charred and the flame really should not hurt the metal if you keep the temp down.

5. George Nelson

NAWCC Member Deceased

Oct 5, 2007
    Male
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ThTanner and Troy,

Thank you both for your responses. Once I am positive that there is no chance of the "labels" being original, I will try both methods: heat and a wire brush. I do want to be sure about removal. It seems like such a common situation that I'm still a bit curious about it. Most likely wishful thinking on my part... And then, somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember a type of white cloth tape that used to leave a similar residue if left on too long. Perhaps that was it?

Thank you both for your comments and ideas!

Best,

George

6. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't recall seeing this before. Where are you finding these weights? Perhaps they all have some common source connection.

RC

7. George Nelson

NAWCC Member Deceased

Oct 5, 2007
    Male
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, RC,
    Most of the weights with the 'labels" are on eBay and other auction sites, including Horton's. Lately, I've been seeing them everywhere, but I can find no common source.

Best,

George