A Weighty Problem

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by mailocguy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mailocguy

mailocguy Registered User

Mar 11, 2009
    Hudson Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Hi folks,
    This is my first post so clue me in if I'm not doing it right. I have a question. I have an 1830's ST WW clock. When I got it there were no weights. What I would like to know is what weight weight(s) goes with this clock? And that brings up another issue which I've asked around for years with no real solution. That is, there are a gazillion different weights out there. So, which weights go with which clocks? Is there any reference material out there that catalogues the proper weights(weight) for different clocks? I'm primarily interested in WW. any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    M,

Welcome to the list. Your question is an oft asked one, but to find a clear answer you will have to post more information about your clock. And, the proverbial 'picture' is worth at least a thousand words still.

If your 1830 date is correct, your clock is most likely a one day clock. They usually take a multitude of shapes but most weigh in at about 2 to 3 pounds.

Your question will be better answered here but it will take a little time, no pun intended :)

Willie X

3. fume happy

fume happy Registered User

Mar 31, 2005
    Computers
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In general, especially with wood works, you want to run it with as little weight as possible. Less force on the teeth = less chance of them snapping off.

As far as originality goes, forestville 8-day weights seem to have a particular shape of more of a flattened rectangle and weight less than other 8 day weights. Usuall a groove is present.

30 hours are pretty much all cylinder shape weights. Groaners i believe are supposed to have square weights. Early C&N Jerome brass movement clocks had small squarish weights. There are other particulars, but these are the ones that come to mind readily.

I put masking tape on my weights if they come with a clock, with the makers name and description, so i make sure they don't get mixed up.

4. mailocguy

Mar 11, 2009
    Hudson Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Let me give you a little more info about the ST 8-day clock I have. It is the identical clock shown on p.141 in Horology Americana by Lester Dworetsky and Robert Dickstein. I'm also going to try and attach a picture. So we now know it is an 8-day clock. (I've run it for years with ~10-1/2 lb. weights because they were the only weights I could find.)
    I've never been able to find any WW 8-day weights of any kind. So with that said, if anyone has a similar clock with the original weights I'd love to know what they look like and how much they weigh. Additionally, the 8-day WW works has been a bit of a stinker in terms of reliability unless I can only expect it to run 2-3 yrs between "tune-ups."
    My more general question deals with the overall world of clock weights since I have a bunch for 30-hour clocks which range from rectangular ones to round ones and from 2-1/2 lbs. to over 4 lbs. ebay pictures 046.jpg Well I don't know if the attachment worked or not. May have gotten more pics than I thought. Just wanted the clock pic. Looks like the pic took so now you know "zactly" what the clock is. Also good to know groaner weight are usually rectangular. I'm selling a groaner on eBay and I got the clock with the wrong weights. Thankfully I have a set of groaner rectangular weights so I can make the swithch. The weight for the time side is a little over 4 lbs. and the clock runs much stronger with it.

5. mailocguy

Mar 11, 2009
    Hudson Ohio
    Country Flag:
    while I'm at it I've got another question. What's the best way to remove old putty which held the glass from the door frames? and then what do I need to mix up to replicate the putty when I put the new (old) glass in?

6. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For what it's worth, I have an 8-day wooden works Henry Terry with weights that are, according to my bathroom scales (not the most accurate method of weighing), 11 pounds each. I can not be absolutely certain that these are the original weights, but it seems likely. David "owen.or"

Attached Files:

7. mailocguy

Mar 11, 2009
    Hudson Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Owen, I think you are on the right track. When I first got the clock I tried to get the heavy "early" "8-day" weights for the clock and the only ones available were I believe 12 pounders. Problem with them was they were more square than rectangular so they didn't fit in the case. I did find that the 10-1/2 lb. weight would run either side of the clock. Even a 7-1/2 lb. weight will run the strike side so I am not sure that both weights were the same?? Another consideration might be that you've got 11-12 lb.s on one side pulling on the works and you probably ought have similar weight on the strike side to balance things out.
    If no one has my clock w/ the original wgts. I may ask you for the exact dimensions of the Terry wgts since my only recourse may be to have someone pour them. Its such a nice clock that I probably ought to try and do it right. Thanks again for your help.

8. DBPhelps

DBPhelps Registered User

Nov 26, 2002
    Sales Broker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These clocks were set up to use a set of pulleys hooked to the weights to double the travel of the weights as they dropped. Don't hang the weights directly to the cord as most 30 hrs do. If so you will shear teeth.

Very nice clock!

D

Attached Files:

9. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The weights for the Henry Terry are pretty much identical within 1/16". 6" tall. Width is 3 1/2" at the base and 3 1/8" at the top. 2 5/8" deep, top and bottom. David "owen.or"

10. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    According to Eight Day Wood Movement Shelf Clocks--Their Cases, Their Movements, Their Makers by Bryan Rogers and Snowden Taylor (NAWCC Bull Supplement 19, Spring 1993), Seth Thomas 8-day ww movements require a driving weight of 8.75 lbs for the time train and 9.0 lbs for strike. No info provided on the shape or dimensions of the weights.

11. mailocguy

Mar 11, 2009
    Hudson Ohio
    Country Flag:
    That would seem to make sense. Interesting that the time side requries more power than the strike side. Isn't it usually the other way around?

12. mailocguy

Mar 11, 2009
    Hudson Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Just wanted to say that's a really nice clock!

13. mailocguy

Mar 11, 2009
    Hudson Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Whoops! I think I meant that its unusual for the time side to require more weight than the strike side.

14. mailocguy

Mar 11, 2009
    Hudson Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Need to make the reply larger.??

15. mailocguy

Mar 11, 2009
    Hudson Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Lets try this again. If its 9 for the strike side and 8.75 for time side it seems thats the opposite of what you usually see. That is, the that the strike side usuually requires less weight.