A way not to poise

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by DeweyC, Apr 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    How do you measure the material removed? How did the mass increase over time? Did the workperson check positional rates prior to and after this file work?

To have a precision timekeeper requires precise work. And note, he had to add timing weights!

Bad Poise.JPG

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    It's so depressing to see a screw that's filed away AND has a washer under it. Boggles the mind.

3. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Male
    Scientist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is one reason why I wish more watch listings on Ebay had pictures of the balance at rest. Conversely, it may be the reason why so few do.

4. Harvey Mintz

Harvey Mintz Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Male
    Software Engineer, retired
    South East Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I've had occasion to add weights to screws that had been filed - BUT I was NOT the one who did the filing; I was the one trying to repoise the balance to get the watch to run reasonably again.

I hate finding filed screws on a balance.

5. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    I'd say that most watches from the mid 1900s I see have this. Seems like it was very much standard practice a couple of decades ago.

6. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    double post, my fault

7. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I take it that filing is on under side, that and part is removable. I dont see it as such a big deal. You have to remember it was probably done in an era when watchmaker work started declining. When the river runs dry you have to do whatever... I hate poising anyway, never have a customer who even consider it. It's like sawing legs on a table to match, seems to never come out perfect. For all the work involved I can hunt down replacement on ebay and knock out several problems at once. Just remove/replace. Make customer pay. I dont mind exploring and expanding my skills, but only for my stuff.