A watch with St. George on the front lid...

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by pmwas, Mar 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 pmwas, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Picked up on an internet listing.
    It is a very worn and damaged watch, but I bought it for it's interesting case.
    I will now begin with the movement, to finish with the case later, as I had to disassemble and clean this dirty piece (my cleaning liquid went very hazy after cleaning this one!).

Firstly - I do not know if the movement is original to the case, because the numbers do not match.
    However the movement fits the case and there are no signs of modifications, so… maybe…

IMG_4352.JPG

I circled the mismatched (and low quality) hour hand I managed to replace.
    The movement has a very simple construction, a going barrel, 3 more train gears and straight line Swiss lever escapement, plus lever operated keyless works.
    Sorry for the blurry pictures, I later realized my camera had a fingerprint on it...

IMG_4355.JPG

Pretty nice damaskeening (for a lower grade Swiss watch) on this one.
    Under the dial there is a logo (C in a shield), but I was unable to identify it (can you:???:).

IMG_4361.JPG

The winding pinion has a broken tooth, but that won't impair it's function.
    Under the dial there is a simple setting mechanism with a lever. Notice - left thread on the screw that holds the lever, for some reason…

IMG_4366.JPG

The balance has a replaced staff, the wheel is not perfectly flat, the timing screws are filed down.
    I think the balance problem is the reason of sub-optimal amplitude, as the rest of the parts look (and work) well.
    Adding pressure to the center wheel causes inadequately low amplituide rise, with some knocking (balance or roller issue, then, banking is unadjustable...

Not a big deal - works in all positions.

IMG_4369.JPG

I replaced the hour hand and one dial screw (used to be glued to the pillar plate!!!)

IMG_4373.JPG

On the caseback - 15 jewels, while in the movement - just 13. This could also be a hint that the movement had indeed been replaced, but such things happen in Swiss watches of the era, so still unsure…

IMG_4374.JPG

Like I said - pretty good looking movement, for a low grade Swiss piece...

The case is a hunting case. Looks silver, but not hallmarked at all (just S/N).
    Unfortunately someone has once aggressively polished the case, destroying the (niello) black finish.

IMG_4371.JPG

Hunting on the back lid... On the front lid a nice rose gold plated inlay showing St. George...

IMG_4372.JPG

The plating is also worn and polished, but the inlay still looks good, unlike the niello.

I don't know who made this watch (C logo:???:) and where was it sold (no hallmarks).
    it's a terribly worn and mistreated watch, but I found it interesting enough to buy.

I like it. Would be so much better with all the black details, but... still not bad.

[EDIT] - movement identified as FHF - seems correct :)

2. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Male
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a raw movement with the same logo, I have never been able to find out who it belongs to.

regards enrico

DSCN2169.JPG DSCN2171.JPG DSCN21701.jpg