A.W.W.Co Dial - hand painted with Locomotive

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Hello,
I am looking for some opinions on a different dial. This watch belongs to a fellow member of our NAWCC club. He has given me permission to post these pictures of the dial . The dial is on a 7J Broadway and as you will see, two of the dial feet are missing. I almost thought I saw a discussion on a similar dial here in the past, but I had no luck locating it. Anyway, as you will see the dial looks (to me) like it was 100% hand painted. Just wondering if anyone here has come across a similar dial in the past, or if anyone has any idea of who made these or why these were made.
Thank you in advance,
Grant
dial front.PNG dial back.jpg

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
There is a similar Waltham factory made dial with a Dominion RR locomotive on it. This is a not so good copy of that famous and beautiful dial. The base dial may be an actual Waltham dial but the whole face of the dial has been redone probably with a decal.

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Hi Jon,
Yes, this could be. The number look hand painted to me and the "T" on the Waltham looks especially questionable , so I didn't think of a decal as the entire dial looked more hand painted to me. I would have expected more consistency with the numbers with a decal, but perhaps I don't understand the decal process enough.
Thank you for the feedback.
Grant

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Thank you TS,
I have looked at many similar dials C.P.R.. Dominion, but they are much cleaner/sharper looking. Perhaps it is a one off project like you have noted.
Grant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimondsSays7
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-