A very strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Richard Watkins, Jul 27, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Having read a very strange (and bad) book, I have come across some very strange behaviour.

In June and July so far 503 copies of vol 2 of my bibliography "Mechanical Watches" have been downloaded. But only 99 copies of vol 1!!! As vol 2 is almost useless without vol 1, I am stunned. Unfortunately the stats program supplied by my service provider does not give enough information about from where people access my site, so I must remain bewildered.

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps a cyberbot has been triggered to perform a download by keywords in volume 2. There are lots of things on the Internet masquerading as intelligent. Some of them are even human.:eek:

3. Richard Watkins

Tom, a sensible suggestion, but the stats program reports robots, spiders, etc. separately and they usually account for a GB+ each month. So I think it is human and your last sentence is appropriate!

4. gnomon

gnomon Registered User

Aug 1, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most conventions relative to robots, spiders, etc. are purely out of politeness. A robot can identify itself as a person running Firefox, if its author wants it to... And similarly, a robot can ignore a website's nobots command, and read the information that the site's author didn't want cataloged on search engines. It is out of pure politeness when they don't.

I use a plugin on my web browser that allows me to force my browser to misidentify itself as internet exploder running on windows when I run into websites written by idiots that exclude anything that isn't IE.

-Chuck Harris

5. StephanG

StephanG Registered User

Jun 24, 2007
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Just had a quick look and from the description Vol 2 sounds like a database of information wheras Vol 1 sounds like a commentry on the information.
    Nothing wrong with that but if I was a collector of information I might make the assumption Vol2 is like a database that I could dump into Exel or whatever so I could use it without the first bit.
    This may not be so but your data only tells you how many downloaded it not how many kept it afterwards.

6. Richard Watkins

I see your point. I will change the description to clarify that.

7. Richard Watkins

It has suddenly become irrelevant. It seems the stats program has been updated and it now reports different information. Whereas recently activity on my web site was around 3 GB per month it has suddenly jumped to over 6 GB in a bit more than half a month! And it now shows incomprehensible partial downloads, which are probably spiders, etc. Certainly "real" activity hasn't changed much.