A very long life

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by PatH, Apr 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great to hear from you, Dan!

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good to hear from you. I was thinking of you when I had the injection in my knee a couple of weeks ago!

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:

A VERY LONG LIFE

October 2018, 55 years an NAWCC Member.

December 11, 2018, a long life of 103 years…and more to come.

And, still wanting to be a part of the life I have led all these long years. My problem is I am tied to a wheel chair; I have lost the cartilage in my knees that would enable me to walk as I have done for over 100 years. It’s a long story I shall not go into now. I have better things to do than bemoan my fate in having to live on one floor of my home. My life span has honored me as the Last of the Mohicans (Weiss’s). All my immediate family, my Aunts and Uncles and their children are all gone; I have three nephews and one niece, a girl, pretty, and a mere 77 years of age.

My dear, departed wife passed away May 8, 1997, I lost seven brothers and one sister. Living alone was not the best thing for me, I needed something alive to keep me from living in a home that echoed with emptiness and silence and coldness. Adopting a dog was not a good thing, I could not do justice to such an animal, a dog needs to go out at least twice daily for exercise and to relieve itself from fecal matter. Adopting a cat was the obvious choice, as I still had to go away to attend our NAWCC meetings as well as Regionals and our Conventions.

A cat gives you the freedom to go away for a day or two or three just as long as you leave the cat food, water and a litter box. Still, they own you in ways you cannot imagine. You never own a cat in the way you own a dog. You need to tend to the dog’s needs daily and he’ll repay you with a love that is beyond description. The cat while loving you, is its own master, you are their keeper, not owner. About seven months after my wife’s passing I adopted two cats, thinking they’d be company for one another if I had to go away to an NAWCC Regional or Convention. Naming the tortoiseshell cat Frankie Weiss, the tabby or tiger looking one I named Johnnie; after the song Frankie and Johnnie who were lovers. Both cats were female and really brightened a life that was in a sorrowful state after the passing of my wife Evelyn. It was a good pairing; both female cats took to another and to me.

Due to my loss of not being able to walk or stand on my feet, the ground floor has not seen me or my watch and clock work for about two years. Luckily, I had no one’s watch or clock to repair. Nor have I attended an NAWCC event. I’m not happy with the way things are. I have no choice to experience the joy of repairing a watch or clock and see it keeping time. Living alone with Johnnie II, I was wise enough to adopt her while Frankie Weiss was still with me. The first Johnnie lived for nine years and one day. Frankie Weiss lived until near her fourteenth year. I shed many a tear for the first Johnnie. When Frankie Weiss passed away…I shed no tears, instead I decided to remember all the wonderful years of joy she brought me. Yet, when I write about this animal who was truthfully smarter than many a dog, a mist begins to form in my eyes.

The house is filled with pictures I took of these wonderful loving animals we call cats. When Johnnie II looks at me with love in her eyes and heart I realize how blessed I am in spending many years with these wonderful animals…in their own way they are the epitome of my need in not living alone.

Dave T likes this.
  4. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,

Every couple of weeks I come here to your forum to see if you have posted. And most times nope...nothing from Dan today.

What a pleasant surprise this time. I am so glad to hear you are doing well considering your troublesome knees. I am sure I speak for a number of members here when I say we miss your posts. Given your confinement I am not sure how difficult it is for you to post here, but I hope you will keep us updated as often as you can.

All the best.

David

5. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Welcome back Dan. I am always keen to read your posts and you've been been too long absent.

6. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good to see you posting again. Live one day at a time, and count your blessings. That's my motto.

7. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Good to see your words back on the board Dan. By the way---
    you do still have Johnnie 2 don't you?

8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good to hear from you Dan, you have had a busy and long life. Have a great day and try to post when you can.

9. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great to hear from you, Dan!

Were I not on the other side of the country, I'd volunteer to help rearrange some space in your house and get you back to tinkering with some watches.

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have two cats too. Great companions, and they are aloof :D