A survey for a design student on overnight care for a pocket watch.

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Glenn Jenkin, Nov 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

Do you have a perfect solution for storing your pocket watch and fob chain overnight?

Poll closed Dec 4, 2019.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Glenn Jenkin

Glenn Jenkin Registered User

Nov 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear fellow pocket watch lovers, thank you for your comments and pictures.

I am wanting to act on behalf of a grade 11 student I teach who has taken on the challenging of solving my overnight pocket watch storage problem. As with you guys, I am very particular with my pocket and accessories, including my gold fob chain.

As part of this long term project, the student (Annie) needs to obtain general feedback from a range of people who may have a similar problem to establish a need beyond just the client (me).

To this end, she would like to ask the following questions.

1 Do you have a perfect solution for storing your pocket watch and fob chain overnight?
    Yes
    No

2 If no, can you elaborate on the problem and how you store the watch at this moment?

I know Annie would be interested in sharing her work and development with you guys, and I hope you can find a minute to share your thoughts.

Kind regards

Glenn (for Annie)

2. Bryan Eyring

Bryan Eyring Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Male
    Director of Manufacturing, Aerospace
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Laid flat on the rear of the case, with chain attached and adjacent to the watch, away from my hands whilst I sleep:)

Keith R... likes this.
  3. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My good ones stay in a segmented box with their friends with the chain attached and nestled next to the movement.

4. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, a Large Safe that is not easily removed would be an ideal place to store a Valuable Pocket Watch; in my Case a Top Floor Apartment with only one Deadlocked entrance and Mesh on the Balcony to stop Thieves. Regards Ray

5. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In a locked box, in a locked safe which is (a) built into a wall and (b) bolted to a big chunk of concrete which is an integral part of the house. Simple.

Omexa likes this.
  6. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As opposed to most, no one would retire on my "collection".

musicguy likes this.
  7. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    and not mine either but that's not why I collect;)

But the OP asked about overnight storage not long term storage.

Rob

8. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Overnight or long term - I don't see the difference if you are talking about objects with either great sentimental or monetary value.

- yes, I'm paranoid, but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

P

Bryan Eyring likes this.
  9. DaveyG

DaveyG Registered User

Mar 21, 2005
    Male
    Retired military aircraft engineer
    North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    I, some time ago, sold a silver J W Benson pocket watch with all of its original paperwork, receipts and boxes etc which dated to 1923. The J W Benson advice was to remove the watch from its associated chain, wind it fully and place it underneath your pillow before you 'retired' for the night. This, of course, would be in the time when the watch was in daily use and there was no central heating and the likelihood is that the house would have been a lot colder than we are accustomed to these days.

My collection is stored in draws that have been lined with dense foam rubber, dial up and not running. When I have a watch running I place them in plastic stands, usually pendant up and sloping gently at about 15 degrees.

John Matthews likes this.