• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

A Source for Replacement Motor Pinions for Sunbeam Electric Movements

7jp4-guy

Dec 1, 2015
Country
All -
After quite a bit of CAD work and a lot of trial-and-error I have managed to create fully functional 3D printed replacements for the notorious nylon motor pinions which always disintegrate in Sunbeam electric movements. Along the way I also created replacements for the motor bushings and minute wheel, parts which also seem to fail occasionally on these movements.

I have written up an article which details how I created these parts and describes how to rebuild these movements on my website dasarodesigns.com. It includes links to order the 3D printed replacement parts directly from Shapeways. I hope that this helps keep a few more of these rather cool, if underappreciated, movements alive.

-Matthew D'Asaro

Movementman

Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the info. I have found a source for these pinions online as well, but they are fairly expensive. I always use these movements when I build or restore electric clocks, and I always rebuild them before I use them. They are really great movements, but the pinions are the weak point on these otherwise reliable movements.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Calvin2020
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit