A Source for Replacement Motor Pinions for Sunbeam Electric Movements

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by 7jp4-guy, Feb 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. 7jp4-guy

7jp4-guy New Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Country Flag:
    All -
    After quite a bit of CAD work and a lot of trial-and-error I have managed to create fully functional 3D printed replacements for the notorious nylon motor pinions which always disintegrate in Sunbeam electric movements. Along the way I also created replacements for the motor bushings and minute wheel, parts which also seem to fail occasionally on these movements.

I have written up an article which details how I created these parts and describes how to rebuild these movements on my website dasarodesigns.com. It includes links to order the 3D printed replacement parts directly from Shapeways. I hope that this helps keep a few more of these rather cool, if underappreciated, movements alive.

-Matthew D'Asaro

2. Movementman

Movementman Registered User

Oct 30, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I have found a source for these pinions online as well, but they are fairly expensive. I always use these movements when I build or restore electric clocks, and I always rebuild them before I use them. They are really great movements, but the pinions are the weak point on these otherwise reliable movements.