A. Sliman, Cumnock (short) Tall Case

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by gleber, Jul 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At 6 ft, 7 in. (2 m) tall, this is on the short side compared to others in my collection. It has a modest case, with no columns on the hood and simple holes in the sides for sound.

As you can see, on the dial is "A. Sliman" "Cumnock" From that, I found this reference listing him as a clockmaker ca 1837.
    Ayshireroots - Cumnock 1837

I can't make out the reference listed in the 3rd from the last photo, which dates Sliman to 1837 - 1850. It looks like Vol II Baitties, but I can't find that or variations. Is anyone familiar with that name or the correct spelling?

Unfortunately, while being delivered to my son in FL (from where I'll have to retrieve it some day), the top got swan neck pediments got broken. I received a discount from the owner and it should easy to fix, but for those of you who has to reply on shippers, I feel your anxiety. I pick up most of my clocks locally.

As usual, any additional comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

primary.jpg 00a0a_eEjStkAGeLm_1200x900.jpg 00X0X_8a4yon3LpGN_1200x900.jpg 01414_jlgKvrQ0emH_1200x900.jpg 00q0q_3SaTVpzqM7H_1200x900.jpg 00X0X_9fSEN2HvCZw_1200x900.jpg 00D0D_i7BngFoZD3g_1200x900.jpg broken_pieces.jpg broken_top.jpg

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    verry nice clock,Tom,congratulations! The swan necks are verry delikate indeed,and obviously made of oak which tends to split along the grain.I especialy like the painting which seems to be in exellent shape!
    Burkhard

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. The case is sort of ho-hum simplistic, but quaint and we have a lot of antique/vintage oak furniture. But the dial is definitely what attracted me to purchase it. I'm anxious to see it in person.

I asked my son who received it if he thought it could be fixed with minimal evidence of damage, and he thought so. I've been doing a lot of case/carving repair on cuckoos lately requiring a lot more detail and finesse, so I don't think this will be too challenging - like you say it split along the grain, not splintered or chunks missing. Glue and careful alignment should be all that is needed for the wood, and then to straighten the bent rosette.

And, I got it for only a little more than half the agreed upon price, which is a bonus for the wallet.

Tom

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like oak cases, something about medullary rays gets me.

I am a bit surprised that it is in one though, somehow I just thought the Scots were hooked on mahogany when this was produced.

I haven't seen a case this design before, but I'm not that familiar with Scottish clocks. I agree the painting is lovely and looks in good condition. A good addition to the collection.

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The case clearly has a Scottish look. It looks like a scaled down version of my Scottish longcase clock, but mine is in mahogany. Is the pendulum bob painted?

Uhralt

6. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was hoping you would chime in. Thanks. It's possible the movement and dial were transplanted. I haven't had a first-hand look yet. I see what looks like a shim under the seatboard (which also seems to have a more modern look to it).

Thanks for your input too Uhralt. Looking Scottish is good, not being mahogany is interesting... I haven't seen the bob yet, but I don't think so because my son didn't mention it. I'll have to check... Is yours painted? If so, can you add a photo? I don't think I've ever seen a painted one (unless you mean like a cast one painted a solid color?)

Tom

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, mine is not painted but Scottish frequently are. I may be able to find a picture. You often find Scottish motives on the bob, like a thistle.

Uhralt

novicetimekeeper likes this.
  8. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  9. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks! Now I'm curious. I'll have to check with my son.

Tom

10. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can't find an example of your case in Loomes book on cases, but he does say small delicate swan necks were a feature of east scotland, and small oak cases too, though your clock is from west scotland. The lack of door pillars does make me wonder a bit.

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  12. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

That's very similar with a bit more of a suggestion of pillar in the reeding with square blocks top and bottom

13. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know you're a good woodworker, but the swan necks can be more challenging than they may appear at first. Here's one I did for a Seth Thomas office No. 6. I think the repair is good enough, after a couple tries. Difficult to clamp, and they broke a couple times so they needed braces (I used shim stock to be less intrusive). Maybe you can use a wire nail through the top, or even a thin, long screw through a drilled hole.
    On a side note, I never finished the Seth case where this pediment came from. The finish used on this model was really cheap, and is a mess on this clock. So I'm still deciding what to do with it. looks like eventually it will be refinished. If you see these clocks for sale, most of them appear to have a refinish, or "rubbed down" at least.

repair 001.JPG repair 002.JPG

14. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another nice painted dial longcase, the dial painting looks well done. I think the note refers to Baillie though voulme II is the updated version subsequently produced by Loomes, volume I refers to the original. The style of the hood is typical of the west of Scotland centred on Glasgow with door pillars to the top of it as opposed to the break of the arch. The matching steel hands and quarter hour minute numbering suggest it is one of Archibald Sliman's earliest clocks, Loomes' dates for him are as those on the note.

15. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the compliment and the advice. I'm hoping it goes together pretty cleanly.

I only now noticed that the left swan neck had been broken and repaired once before. You can see it in the photo of the hood and the side view if you zoom in.

One of these days when I am out your way, I need to check out your collection.

Tom

16. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the additional information Jonathan. I never seem to notice details like the height of the pillars until someone points it out. I had to go back to compare against my other long / tall case clocks.

Tom