A Simple Ode to Connecticut Clocks

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by 124Spider, Jul 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 124Spider

124Spider Registered User
    NAWCC Member

I'm just a clock-lover. I cannot claim even to be "collector" (whatever that is), just an acquirer. I have about 30 mechanical clocks in my house, which I keep running, striking and chiming. I love the sounds they make, and the intricate Rube Goldberg devices that they are. And I love my wife for indulging in my love of clocks.

I can be as snobby as the next person, loving my English triple-fusee clock, and other exotic (to me) clocks I have.

But I have to admit to a soft spot for the early 20th-century Connecticut clocks, of which I have five, and have overhauled three (with one on the table about to be overhauled).

Yes, they were cheap, with plates so thin I have to be careful not to bend them when working on the clock. And yes, they're not particularly elegant.

But do they ever take a licking and keep on ticking! The pivots are so thick and strong (compared, for instance, to that triple-fusee beauty), they seem impervious to wear. Yes, the plates have to be re-bushed more quickly than, say, that triple-fusee clock, but the re-bushing is fairly simple.

That's all. I like how they just work, and (when the don't) they're easy to fix.

:)

PatH, Arthur Cagle and chimeclockfan like this.
  2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you have a chance visit the American Clock and Watch Museum in Bristol, Conn. I am sure you be impressed.

Ron

124Spider likes this.
  3. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I agree with the visit. Just visited the museum as I had done 30 years ago. A fantastic collection of items, including those not built in CT. I believe that the person
    introducing us to the different rooms indicated that there are approximately 1500 items on display with 5000 in the inventory. My memory may be incorrect as to the numbers.

I was very surprised to find a Martin Cheney timepiece (or attributed to) that had appeared in the Varkaris / Connell "Early Canadian Timekeepers); a timepiece that one of the late authors did not know the current location.

And yes, collecting can become an obsession; a happy one!

124Spider likes this.
  4. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was there in June. There are many more not on display as you mentioned. Martin Cheney, I missed that one. Must review the photos I took that day.

Ron

5. Arthur Cagle

Arthur Cagle Registered User

May 22, 2003
    Male
    Retired
    Greater Baton Rouge Area, Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    124Spider, I agree with you. I have my share of German, French, English, etc., but my heart belongs to the early American clocks. They are just workhorses, and fun to work on.

124Spider likes this.
  6. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This one was just inside a doorway on the right, opposite the big circular display showing what I believe were wooden clock parts.

IMG_1350.JPG

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  7. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    DickC, It's been a while since we were there, but was this the room with J.C. Brown's desk that has all the reverse painted panels, along with banjo clocks on the wall?

124Spider, I agree with your ode to Connecticut clocks, and would go a step further to say "Connecticut clocks and watches", particularly dollar watches for me. There were certainly some innovative individuals there, combined with an area rich in natural resources and proximity to established transportation and distribution.

124Spider likes this.
  8. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This is my best set of directions:

Enter the main door of the museum.
    Turn Left and pass through the gift shop.
    Pass the Restroom which is on the right.
    Turn right at the next entry and pass through the doorway.
    Immediately on the right this was hanging.

If you continue through into the next room, it is a room with Vermont, New Hampshire and other Tallcase Clocks (Grandfathers).
    As you entered this room if take a left and look up there are a number of shelf clocks with reverse painted tablets on a very high shelf.
    There is also a door that leads to another set of restrooms (as the sign said).

Dick

PatH likes this.
  9. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This clock, which is similar to your photo, is described as being made in the Montreal area of unknown maker. It is hanging in the Canadian Clock Museum in Deep River, Ontario. Possibly Cheney?

Ron

RS Clocks at the museum (49).JPG

10. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My wife and I just met with Alan Symons at the Canadian Clock Museum where we saw this clock. Alan indicated that Jim Connell, one of the authors of the Early Canadian Timekeepers, had gone over the clock and could not ascertain that it was a Cheney clock. The bottom is not like any of Cheney's known clocks, the movement is not marked. The bottom board on the Cheney clocks that I have seen is tapered on top and bottom around the outside edges. This clock does not have the Cheney like taper. The dials that I have seen were attached at the 9 and 3 locations with screws. This one had a bent attachment at the top and two screws at the bottom. The top attachment appeared to be original; could not tell about the screws as we did not take the dial off. The other strange thing is that the bob did align with the bulls eye glass...it was higher.

Great visit at this museum; also had the opportunity to visit the storage area to see those clocks that are not displayed, including a fantastic mahogany Pequegnat Citadel clock. It is a short trip from the City of Ottawa.

P.S. If you know of a Canada Clock Company Manitoba model, Alan might be interested.