A short rant about quartz clocks

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Begin rant

Why, WHY, *WHY* can't people remember to take the batteries out of their quartz clocks before storing them?

End of rant

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
because they don’t even think about their clocks being battery-powered, and that’s the first thing we think about when we hear ‘quartz’

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I've recently taken an interest in early quartz clocks - from the 1970s and early '80s - made by name-brand clock manufacturers like Schatz and Kundo. They are a fusion of old-world craftsmanship and then-new technology, before quartz movements became cheap throw-away commodities and dealt the death blow to mechanical clocks. I just finished up a Schatz carriage clock with a very clever electronic motor that drives a fake rotary pendulum which emulates an Atmos pendulum and rotates with a beat rate of 6-8 BPM. The clock movement was bound up with corrosion from the battery, and the pendulum motor was damaged from the clock having been dropped or taken a significant shock. They were easy to repair. But the brass - oh, the brass... I stripped off what was left of the lacquer and spent a day removing the corrosion - sandpaper, steel wool and Scotchbrite. There's some pitting that's never going to come out. A fresh coat of lacquer and it's back together and looking pretty nice.
Schatz Quartz.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehedi94
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-