A second Seth Thomas #2

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by beedub, Aug 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Good evening all,
    Visiting an estate sale last weekend, I ran across a Seth Thomas #2 marked just $58.00 and of course, I had to get it. It looked new to me however, especially when I got it home and compared it to my "old" #2. Reading old posts, I believe I now have #3457 of the Seth Thomas 4000 reissue series from 1976. Until now, I never knew these even existed. It seems that the folks on the Forum generally like these and I am very glad to have it. It has been running just fine all week.

The last photo is my "old" #2. Can you tell me which wood you think it is? From the style of the three piece bow tie, it may be pre-1900? The other photos are the reissue clock and it really looks like they did a good job putting it together, the oak is just beautiful. What do you know about the lower number 7801 scratched into the plate?

In some places on the web, I have seen these listed as 1970, 1976 and even 1980. Were all the 4000 made at the same time or did they spillover into other years? I would like to hear from others who have these and are they still a desirable clock? Thanks for any comments.

2. aesellitto

aesellitto Registered User

Jun 14, 2012
    Nice clock and at a very good price! Even the repops are becoming collectible due to the rarity and price tag on the originals. You purchased that at a fraction of the cost. I have one in my collection that I found on an online auction that was in my local area. I am not sure if they spanned out the time making those clocks. It is definitely a keeper.

3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beedud,

Great purchase on the reissue.

The picture of the older #2 makes it difficult to identify the wood, but my guess would be either rosewood or mahogany. Both woods would have been more plentiful at the time of manufacture than they are today.

Regards.

4. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Thank you new2clocks and aesellitto for your encouraging words about this clock. I really do like it and was able to slip it into the bedroom as it is time only where I can hear it often. Hopefully it is a reliable clock. Thank you both again.

5. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Retired from computer program/product/project mana
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 2nd clock case appears very much to be mahogany. Both the grain patterns and the pores of the wood are mahogany as they appear in the photos. Over the years there have been reports of these clocks having cherry and walnut cases also, in addition to the ever more common oak. I have not seen a #2 in rosewood, but certainly have seen #1's and #1 extras in rosewood veneered cases....

6. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Thank you Jim,
    I never really questioned it until I found the #2 guide chart which seemed to indicate this clock as being walnut or cherry, neither of which seemed quite right to me but I am not much of a wood expert. I maybe read the chart wrong. Looking again just now it seems mahogany began in 1913 and this case style continued until 1922 so you may be right on. But then another guide chart says the 3 piece bow tie stopped in 1890 so it really messed me up in dating this one. Thanks again

7. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

those are not hard and set dates on the guide... which is why it uses dotted lines in some places.

there are lots of examples of certain features appearing before and/or after expected dates.

the pendulum rod, bob, regulating nut and weight look very much like the ones in my all original 1909 ST2... which has a one-piece bow-tie.

i can't make out a label in the bottom of yours, but my two 1890s ST2s have black labels... the 1909 has a 'blonde' one. the bow-tie on yours also looks like someone added additional stain... hard to tell. can we get more detailed photos of inside and maybe even movement? also... you did check the back, yes? sometimes dates were stamped/stenciled on the back, with letters for months and in reverse order (i.e., 9091B = feb 1909).

8. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    #8 beedub, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Good evening Bruce,
    Thank you for having a look at this. Attached are a couple more photos that I hope will help. Definitely a black label in there. I don't recall ever seeing anything on the back, but it has been a while since I have had it off the wall. I have it securely fastened since we have had an earthquake or two around here. I could pull the movement if necessary sometime when I have a bit more time. I just noticed the hinges when adding the photo, half the size of the cutout, is that normal? Thank you again.

9. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    bill -

i'm not an expert, so don't quote me. perhaps inbeat (who is one) will happen on this thread and comment.

my understanding was/is that the black labels were 1890s. i have three ST2s... the 1909 and the two from the 1890s. the acquisition of my first older one (actually, the clock that got me hooked on clocks) was facilitated by my clock mentor, who had serviced it over the years. the second came from merritts. both have (remnants of) black labels. i photoshopped what was left of the better of the two labels and made a repro label i sell on eBay*... i have those laying in the bottom of the cases, over the old ones.

*note to moderators: i believe it's ok for me to mention this because it's a fixed price part... if not, please feel free to remove the 'i photoshopped... ' sentence.

i still think the center piece of the bowtie on yours looks like someone mucked with it... maybe a replacement, maybe just extra stain, who knows? i would say yours is 100+ years old and that 'late 1890s' would be a fair call.

lastly, there are those here who would say different, but i see nothing wrong in taking a little white water color paint and very carefully filling in little divots like the one you have in your dial... you have to be careful doing so as sometimes more original paint will flake off as you're working.

here are photos of the bowties on mine:

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Good morning Bruce,
    Thank you for the info, wow three of these in your collection, you sure do have a fondness for them! But then so do I. You have a couple of beauties there. I see what you mean on the bow tie, mine almost looks like burl. Whatever it is, I will still enjoy it and think 1890s sounds good. I will take a look at the back and the movement the next time I have it apart and see if there are some more clues there. Thanks again.

11. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

each of mine has issues (a re-painted dial, a bottom re-glued after a weight went through it, etc). i can not swear that they are all original, but my first clock love was an ST2. since then i've expanded my horizons and now favor seconds clocks (1 meter pendulum or jewelers regulators) and an occasional whatever my clock mentor is willing to sell me from his collection.

it would help to see the back of your dial and the movement, along with how the movement is mounted, etc. iwhen is the last time you had yours serviced? how does it run?

12. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Hi Bruce,
    Looking at my records, I have had it nearly 21 years and it has been a bit over 8 years since it has had any attention. While it runs just fine and has given me no problems whatsoever, I think I had better pay some attention to it so that it keeps on going. I can get some more photos when I get a chance to spend some time with it. Thanks for you help.