A Scratched and Gouged Hamilton 4992B

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Paul_S, Feb 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul_S

Paul_S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Around a year ago Dewey posted pics of a 992B with gouges carved from the gold screws.

I thought of that when cleaning this watch for a friend: a 4992B.

Someone went to town on nearly all the screws.
    attachment.jpg

When replacing the staff, he scratched an arrow on the balance arm to show the stud position.

attachment.jpg

Most odd, though, is the collet. It looks like most of it has been roughly carved away. I'm not sure what would cause someone to do that.

Sigh...

Are these the sorts of things the military watchmakers did when trying to quickly turn-around a watch, or is this just another example of bad work in general?

Attached Files:

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a typical hairspring collet. No butchery there. Unusual to see that someone had a problem poising the wheel.

3. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    #3 Skutt50, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Post deleted. I missed Doughs ironi!

4. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Irony:???:? What was ironic about my reply? That is a typical hairspring collet for all the 992B movements, and clones! As to the obvious problem someone had in poising the balance wheel. These are a friction staff, not riveted. And usually require little effort to poise. If you see something wrong with that reply, make your point!

And my name is DOUG! Not Dough.

5. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    I am sorry DOUG. Diod not mean to offend you.

I work mainly on european watches and compared with the collets I have come across, the collet looks like it is half a collet. If that is the way the 992B are supposed to look then I stand corrected and I am glad I learned something new today.

6. Paul_S

Paul_S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Sorry for my bad picture, but the collet is sort of smashed and a little shaved, like someone staked it on off-center.

As for the poise, so much weight was taken from so many screws that it is hard to know what the person was doing.

The scratch marks (like an arrow on the arm) make me think this was serviced by a military watchmaker---it seems more likely that they'd do it to a military watch than a civilian would later---but that's just conjecture.

7. NC Plumber

NC Plumber Registered User

Jan 15, 2011
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I've replaced collets that looked much better than that one. Appears that it's gapped open on one side of the staff, I don't think that it is gripping very well or perfectly centered. Someone other than a watchmaker has been working on that balance.

8. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, You have hit the nail on the head.

If someone who even had a small amout of repair skills they could have used the meantime screws to achieve what they were trying to do with drilling out material from the screw heads.

9. ANDY YALE

ANDY YALE Registered User

Jun 14, 2013
    Writer
    Jersey City, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    looks like the upper pivot got bent in the process. what gets me is what was used to reduce the screws? the gouges are all off center.

10. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Probably a cutter/drill held in a pin vise. And as for the collet it looks like someone tried to grab it in a collet of some sort. Maybe for closing it. Or grabbing it in order to turn it and subsequently slipping.