A. Schatz W3 "Silent" Mode

Mark Hughes

Jan 7, 2022
Country
Hi - I thought I'd start a different thread for this subject, though it concerns the same clock that needs all new springs for its three trains. The next issue is the supposed "silent" mode this movement offers. Easy enough to see that moving the lever that positions the music roll/pin roll lines up hammers for the three various themes. And in the "silent" hole, there are some alleys/gaps such that hammers aren't actuated as the roll turns. However, not true for all of the eight hammers - some of them are actuated even in the silent position. There are no other levers or means by which to neutralize these other eight hammers, as the selection lever's sole action is to slide the music roll to a certain axial position.
So, it is perhaps the wrong roll for the clock? The nuclear option, of course, is to break pins off and form the rest of the "alleys". For perhaps obvious reasons, I'm holding off on that alternative. I hope someone out there is familiar with this common movement and can enlighten me.

Mark Hughes

Jan 7, 2022
Country
Yep, that explained it. Thanks a million for cluing me in. Never would have noticed that little trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteABC123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-