A sad story from a while ago.

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Hey all,

I revisited a local clock repairman a few years ago before the pandemic (he gave me clock repair tips and also a little Korean T&S clock from the 1970's that was missing a rack as a small gift) and was conversing about the future of clock collecting. He said a younger fellow in his teenager years was interested in learning the repair and feeding of clocks and wanted to do clock repair as a hobby and grow his collection, but he was relentlessly teased or bullied at school about his hobby once his friends found out. He said the kid sent him a text telling him that he decided to give up the hobby since he was made fun of for liking "old things" and called "grandpa" at school. He didn't know what became of the kid's collection after that.

I think about this thing from time to time, and I always come back to the question of why society bashes people who "don't fit neatly in a little box". Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that bullies will be bullies and undoubtedly pick the kid on something else if they couldn't hold that against him anymore. Kids can be brutal, especially teenagers.

Just thought I'd share.

Reactions: PatH and Mr. Time

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Bullies came from people who were bullied or in unlucky situations, and people bullied are usually very tolerant or “unusual”. The bullies, IMO are also started by whatever the parents exposed to them, whether it’s lack of care or what the parent expects (regarding what or what not is good/bad.)

No matter your situation, you can always find a way to succeed. All about effort.

You can sit around begging and get nowhere. You can rely on government and get by. Or you can get up and pursue a goal.

Just look up the stories of bullied, criminals, homeless, disabled, and poor who got back up and became stronger than the ones who looked down…

Reactions: Dave T and Kevin W.

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Just look up the stories of bullied, criminals, homeless, disabled, and poor who got back up and became stronger than the ones who looked down…
While true, these people are far and few between. It is extremely difficult for many to overcome peer pressure of conforming to society's expectations, especially when one is looking for (at the very least) genuine acceptance amongst their peers.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
That's what my extended family thought about doing clocks as a hobby - 'It's for old people' 'we don't want you getting into this ' - yet they never approached any viable alternatives for productive hobbies so eventually the first clock was purchased. It was a long and difficult wait and there were points where I considered forgetting about it all, but getting that first clock and getting it to run again was a big achievement. That was almost 10 years ago now.

Never got the same experience watching YouTube 'celebrities' on the internet. Hah!

HallerAG1.jpg

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I can't control what other people do or say. My life experience advice would be, "don't let other people rule your life".
But in this era of social media and people putting all their matters on platforms for everyone to see, I would also advise keeping some of your life private from others.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
I can't control what other people do or say. My life experience advice would be, "don't let other people rule your life".
But in this era of social media and people putting all their matters on platforms for everyone to see, I would also advise keeping some of your life private from others.
Words to live by Chris. I believe that peoples ignorance and inadequacies (maybe some jealousy) lead them to act out on others through action and words. Perhaps there is not ill intent, but on the receivers end it could be life changing. I have seen this with adults in the work environment so not limited to youth.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I was an outsider in high school because I didn't conform to whatever the tortured social norms of my age group happened to be. I wore it as a badge of pride, became fiercely independent and self-reliant, and have followed my own star my whole life. And in accordance with what Chris Radano said, I am a very private person by choice.

My grandfather, a mathematics teacher, took a personal interest in my education and upbringing, and kindled in me the passion for inquiry and investigation. I drove my mother mad with the word "why," and it is still one I use every day. When he passed away, I inherited two clocks from him - a 400-day and a cuckoo clock. Neither were working. As tribute to him, I rebuilt both of them, making them as perfect as I could. And in the process I found a new passion - learning about clock repair and restoration. Those two clocks - modest due to the modest means of a mathematics teacher - occupy the preeminent positions in my accumulation of clocks, that now probably numbers 30 to 40.

I am at the point where I am giving away clocks to friends that I know will appreciate them for what they are. The oval Kundo miniatures are extremely popular today, and I specialize in Schatz 1000-day clocks.

Please, please, if you find young persons showing an interest in clocks, embrace them and don't teach them; rather, help them learn - as much about themselves as about clocks. Be generous with your knowledge and experience. And if you are asked a question you can't answer, say "I don't know. Let's find the answer together."

"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost is recommended reading.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
That's what my extended family thought about doing clocks as a hobby - 'It's for old people' 'we don't want you getting into this ' - yet they never approached any viable alternatives for productive hobbies so eventually the first clock was purchased. It was a long and difficult wait and there were points where I considered forgetting about it all, but getting that first clock and getting it to run again was a big achievement. That was almost 10 years ago now.

Never got the same experience watching YouTube 'celebrities' on the internet. Hah!

View attachment 664363
This is another case of parent/guardian expectations. Generally THEY thought it was more successful the other path. But look at you, collected chime clocks from all around and studying all sorts of engineering from these gong!

I personally have had more parents pressure away from horology but nonetheless allowed me to enjoy the hobby. Regarding my school, the classmates at least respond with “cool!” when they learn that I work on clocks. The teachers are sometimes, “meh, whatever”. Some are more enthusiastic with their replies. If they are just making a better look for themselves and don’t mean it, it’s not anything I can or want to do about that. I could care less if they don’t want to change me.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
The hobby of horology has opened up so many interests for me, i have been in this hobby for a long time. As for bullies i have met them in many stages in my life, in my current job i have been harrased and bullied by 4 supervisors, i believe Karma will find them one day.

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
I've had alot and still have encounters with bullies, I do have a bit of aspergers or autism spectrum disorder which makes it a bit worse.
A bit like Les, I was, and well, still am treated like an idiot by most people.
I was sent for tests with a psychologist because the teachers didn't think I was smart enough to be in regular school, (these 2 teachers, husband and wife, were for years my worst bullies) and the psychologist was actually confused by their assessment, after the test I got advanced placement in a different school and was told I should join mensa. I still don't believe I'm as intelligent as they said but I do ok.
The first and worst discouragements for my horological career choice were from my first couple girlfriends who said "no one wears watches or has clocks anymore, you should get a "real" job at a lumber mill or factory, or drive truck" so they didn't last long, though longer than they should have lol.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
As for IQ or whatever tests, they don’t prove anything, IMO. They also won’t earn very much but a good title or something to talk about... who knows what is considered smart or intelligent or if that reason is really significant to society/usage.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I hope the "karma" will win out in the long run too.

As for myself, I had an older cousin named Benny. Benny seemed to enjoy doing an attitude adjustment on a school bully from time to time. Benny knew right from wrong and I wish there were more young folks like him around today.

Willie X

Reactions: Kevin W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallmawfuedu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-