A sad Accutron index wheel

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Chris Radek, Sep 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    Where mechanical watches just stop when run for a long time without service, Accutrons are strong enough to keep grinding away. Here's the ruined index wheel and pinion from a 2181 that was recently on my bench. The watch was still keeping time pretty well, but starting to lose a bit, leading the owner to send it in. The upper pivot has a shoulder worn into it, and the lower was spinning in a pile of rusty grit that filled the space between the jewels and wore the pivot into a point. Sometimes I find pivots stuck in the jewels, twisted clean off, probably when someone puts a battery in after the watch is sitting for a long time.

IMG_20190808_125535.jpg

IMG_20190808_125414.jpg

IMG_20190808_125607.jpg

2. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Interessting.......

I have an Accutron that humms but does not run. I have looked at it several times but never had the right feeling to take it apart.....
    (So many small adjustments and I only have a loupe for magnification.)
    I must get my act together one day and dig into it......

3. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    I have serviced so very many of them, but I would not attempt without my microscope...

It's tough because needing service is not seen in the performance of the watch. You have to do it on a schedule, the time to service it is when it's still apparently running perfectly! Not an easy thing to convince people.

Rick Hufnagel likes this.