A Rare Beha Black forest exposed bird cuckoo, 8 day, twin fusee table clock.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG, Nov 22, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG Registered User

Dec 28, 2011
    COLLECTOR, RESTORER, PRESERVER, TRADER.
    #1 ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
    This is a Black forest cuckoo clock of extreme rarity.
    Ca 1875, made by Johann Baptist Beha.
    Several features set it far apart from most others. Its about 30" tall and in a magnificent carved Gothic case. Its full carved, sides included. An 8" carved dial, featuring very unusual original bone hands & numerals.
    What makes this clock special is its cuckoo bird. At near life size, the bird sits on top of the case, and bows and moves his beak on the strike.
    Known as an "exposed bird", he's got real feathers and glass eyes. Featuring a massive twin fusee 8 day wooden movement seen here in stunning original condition. This is the only known example of this clock found.

5.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 10.jpg 16.jpg

See more rare pieces like this on our website Antiquecuckooclock.org

2. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I am the first to admit that cuckoos are generally not my cup of tea, but once in a while, we do see some that are uncommonly attractive. The three that ACC has posted here recently are fine examples of such, and I particularly like this shelf model. At 2 1/2 feet, it would overwhelm any room in my house. And, of course, with the bird on top like that, my wife would insist that we line the table with newspaper.:whistle:

4. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011
    A kind than you Steven.
    I appreciate the supportive words. Seems cuckoo clocks get a bum wrap, but as I saw at the regional in York last year, most really didn't ever realize how fine some of the automated Black forest pieces got. I bet I shook 10,000 hands, and SO many members looked and commented "I had no idea"

I try to make my rare threads informative, and nothing is more saddening than a well written post and poor photos. I try to take the time to make it worth reading, and looking for the members. :)
    Love the bit about the newspaper. My niece is 4 and to this day she thinks its a real bird on top. :) :)

My display at the regional. Only a portion of my collection but I tried to make a nice mix. Was a great time.

hh (2).jpg