A Question for a Rolex Watchmaker

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by ronion, Sep 13, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. ronion

ronion Guest

I am in the process of restoring a 5513 Submarimer myself.... The bezel insert is terribly faded and I have a NOS insert to replace it with....A: What is the process of removing the old one? B: How is the new one installed? Thanks as always...Ray Cipolla

2. ronion

ronion Guest

I am in the process of restoring a 5513 Submarimer myself.... The bezel insert is terribly faded and I have a NOS insert to replace it with....A: What is the process of removing the old one? B: How is the new one installed? Thanks as always...Ray Cipolla

3. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

Ray,

You should be able to easily push out the old bezel insert from the back, once the bezel is removed from the watch. The bezel basically just "snaps" on, and you can work it loose by inserting a single-edged razor blade under it. The bezel "tensioner" on 5513 models is a thin stainless steel ring beneath the bezel, which acts on the bezel the same way a dial washer acts on an hour wheel.

Rolex makes a special tool for installing bezel inserts, but essentially the same thing can be accomplished with certain types of crystal tools. What has to happen is that the insert has to be "cupped" slightly, in the same manner that old-style plastic crystals were installed. Not just any type of crystal inserter is suited to use for installing bezel inserts, but Girard Perregaux made one years ago that works very well.

It's possible to "work" a bezel insert in by hand in the same way one "works" a plastic crystal in, but it's pretty tough to accomplish without serious risk of bending or damaging the bezel. This is particularly true near the luminous "dot" at the 12 o'clock marker, where the bezel is almost cut in two anyway.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    VP, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas