• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

A Question Concerning a Key Wind Case .............

Marty W

Jan 10, 2012
LA (lower Alabama)
Region
I would like to find out what American make/model key wind movement would fit nicely into the case pictured below. All of my key winds have the cuvette hole on the 1 o'clock side so this has me thrown.

Any help most appreciated. Thanks,
MartyW

Attachments

Luis Casillas

Oct 16, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
Country
Region
It's a standard keywind hunting case, so any standard movement will fit. The winding hole is in fact at 1 o'clock just like you expect—the trick is that this case's pendant is at 3 o'clock, not 12 like in the open-face cases you're comparing it to.

I have a few Elgin key winders in hunting cases like yours that illustrate this; here is an example:

xyzzytom_199119
xyzzytom_199118
xyzzytom_199120

The movement here is just a standard Elgin keywind G.M. Wheeler. One of the neat things about key winding movements is that, unlike for most stem-wind movements, you don't need two different versions for open face and hunting; the casemaker just puts the winding hole in the right place relative to the pendant.

Last edited by a moderator: