A question about pin set watches

Paulfg

Oct 19, 2020
Country
I have just aquired a pin set watch.
It is a Cylindre movement so I am told and pin set.
I today wound it and set the time for the first time.I looked at it 7 hours later and the hands had not advance at all.
I reset the time and after 10 minutes the hands were still correct.
My question is
If the pin is stuck partially down would it cause this problem as when I reset the time the pin appears to be sticking further out than before.
The watch has supposedly been serviced before I got it.

i realise this is not a high grade watch
thanks in advance
1227-2.jpg

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
Yes, pins can get sticky, and so can the mechanisms they operate. Maybe you have loosened it now that it has worked once. You can try pressing and releasing the pin a few times to see if it just needs its lubricant spread around. Good luck!

Glen

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
If you can wind, it the pin is not stuck. If moving the crown moves the hands the setting device is stuck, but the hands should move some. If the hands are not moving when you move the crown, the canon pinion is loose. This is a tubular pinion that goes over the center wheel. It is a friction fit it carries the minute hand and drives the gears that run the hour hand.

Several methods of securing the cannon pinion were used when pin set cylinders were in use so we need a good view of the movement to see the problem.

Paulfg

Oct 19, 2020
Country
An update
The watch actually did run when I reset it again but stopped after about 20 minutes.I left the watch for an hour to prove it was stopping and not running slow
I then reset it and the same thing happened,it ran for a short while then stopped.
The strange thing is I could still hear the movement and the balance was running when I looked .Maybe the action of turning it over was enough to get the balance oscillating for a short while.
Anyway it is on its way back to the seller for repair or refund

Another question
when I first wound the watch I was surprised at the small number of turns to reach what I assume was full wound.Is this because the watch is small or a cylindre movement or a fault.
I am used to my 16s watches requiring maybe 20 plus turns, this watch was only approximately 8-10

Paulfg

Oct 19, 2020
Country
1227-2.jpg 1227-18.jpg
I am not sure what happened I thought I had posted pictures in my original post

Paulfg

Oct 19, 2020
Country
If you can wind, it the pin is not stuck. If moving the crown moves the hands the setting device is stuck, but the hands should move some. If the hands are not moving when you move the crown, the canon pinion is loose. This is a tubular pinion that goes over the center wheel. It is a friction fit it carries the minute hand and drives the gears that run the hour hand.

Several methods of securing the cannon pinion were used when pin set cylinders were in use so we need a good view of the movement to see the problem.
no the hands moved when the pin was pressed and the winder worked when the pin was not pressed.I think the watch was just stopping and my original though that the hands had not moved was incorrect

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Seems to be a loose cannon pinion. It is a simple friction fit on your watch. The motion work is probbaly dirty. The cannon pinion drives a larger gear which drives a second pinion which fits over the cannon pinion. Crud in these gears can stop teh hand motion and if the cannon pinion is loose enough the watch will continue to run.

Paulfg

Oct 19, 2020
Country
Seems to be a loose cannon pinion. It is a simple friction fit on your watch. The motion work is probbaly dirty. The cannon pinion drives a larger gear which drives a second pinion which fits over the cannon pinion. Crud in these gears can stop teh hand motion and if the cannon pinion is loose enough the watch will continue to run.
thanks,the seller has offered to take it back and fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinSer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller