A quest for "clock brass," and other materials.

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Colin Drake, May 16, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Colin Drake

Colin Drake Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Clock maker, Point Defiance Clock Shop.
    Tacoma, Wa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am very nearly equipped for building my very first clock and I am finally ready to begin my search for stock materials with which to build it. I am told that Brass alloy 3532, once known as "clock brass" is the best for the job. The only problem is that I have no idea where to get it. I have searched online, but I haven't come up with anything. If anyone has a source, or knows the next best alternative, it would surely make my day.

I am also wondering what grade of tool steel would be recommended for arbor material.

2. WMello

WMello Registered User

Jan 30, 2016
    Herndon, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Colin Drake

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Tacoma, Wa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for your reply. I was really looking for a harder brass. Clock brass had both a higher content of both zinc and lead, making it much harder than brass 360, wile maintaining much of it's ease of machining. The harder the brass, the more resistant it will be to wear.

Having done a little more research I am thinking about going with brass 365, leaded Muntz metal, as it shares many of the same properties and machines well enough.

4. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Collin,
    I buy 353 leaded brass sheet from McMurray Metals. They do not list their prices on their website so you will need to give them a call. The last time I ordered, they were 40% less than any of the typical internet metal suppliers. 353 brass sheet is very nice to work with compared to 260, which is what most metal suppliers carry. Any brass rods or bars will be 360. I have used it a lot and have not had any problems with it being too soft.
    Allan

5. Colin Drake

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Tacoma, Wa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you. I'll give it a try.