• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

A post-WWI English cabinet makers final apprenticeship project: a marquetry mantle clock case.

HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
Central Appalachia
Country
s-l400 (20).jpg

William Henry Hill was born in England in 1889. He entered into a cabinet maker's apprenticeship just after World War I. The clock case that was his final apprenticeship project is finished to a high degree employing marquetry techniques, including stylized flowers using mother of pearl inlay.
s-l400 (21).jpg

There is a small protuberance at the 12 sticking out. I was unable to move it in any way. What's this for please?
s-l400 (24).jpg

s-l400 (22).jpg

s-l400 (23).jpg

The clock case has art deco elements, but the undulating curves of the bottom trim is more representative of Art Nouveau design.
s-l400 (29).jpg

It measures approx 39 cm high 16 cm deep and 20cm wide. It contains a French Japy Freres movement.
20221130_214428.jpg

s-l400 (25).jpg

What does this number signify? Can someone date this movement looking at the number or mark? The clock arrived today in great condition and keeps good time, but it is not chiming at the hour and half hour as it should. Any suggestions?
s-l400 (28).jpg

ECC68DF1-3098-4A75-B7DC-708F3B51F7F6.jpeg

s-l400 (26).jpg

Mr. Hill died in the 1980's in Cromer, England, but his fine craftsmanship lives on. This is my 6th clock acquisition. Does anyone recognize the wood used or have any descriptive comments I might have left out? Feel free to share.
600CA3E0-1D17-40C4-AD49-6E1C05B32EB7.jpeg

William Henry Hill and wife Elenore Hill (born 1891).

Last edited:
Reactions: WIngraham

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
A lovely case. The arbor at 12 o'clock is to raise/lower the suspension spring with a small key to fine tune the timekeeping. The key to do that would have been at the other end of the original one used to wind the movement. The number on the movement is of no help in dating, typically it will also be found on the pendulum bob and elsewhere. There could be a few reasons for not striking and it probably will need to be dismantled and serviced.

Reactions: HowardHorology

HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
Central Appalachia
Country
0A63C56F-A040-4BE3-958B-59FE08374547.jpeg

In situ. Thank you very much!
A lovely case. The arbor at 12 o'clock is to raise/lower the suspension spring with a small key to fine tune the timekeeping. The key to do that would have been at the other end of the original one used to wind the movement. The number on the movement is of no help in dating, typically it will also be found on the pendulum bob and elsewhere. There could be a few reasons for not striking and it probably will need to be dismantled and serviced.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
The panel in the top might be burr yew, whatever it is I think the same is used in the parquetry.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
That is spectacular - a beautiful and unique piece!

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
View attachment 738581
In situ. Thank you very much!
Nice clock!

Honestly, the movement is nothing special. A French round plate movement that was placed in many styles of cases over the years by various makers.

What is transcendent about the clock is the wonderful handmade case AND that you supply some great history about it.

I would suggest documenting that history in writing and hopefully it will stay with the clock.

Someone likes transfer decorated and other types porcelain?

RM

HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
Central Appalachia
Country
Nice clock!

Honestly, the movement is nothing special. A French round plate movement that was placed in many styles of cases over the years by various makers.

What is transcendent about the clock is the wonderful handmade case AND that you supply some great history about it.

I would suggest documenting that history in writing and hopefully it will stay with the clock.

Someone likes transfer decorated and other types porcelain?

RM
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate the great documentation suggestion. This forum will also thankfully serve as documentation for many clocks by collectors. Alas, I have several paintings that have lost their provenance that was once attached to them in the form of a slip of paper. This eBay seller was marvelous to share the history and even send a photo with this gorgeous clock that arrived only yesterday from England. Yes, thanks for noticing my love of ceramics! I came by it honestly as grandmother already had a house full of ceramics so the 12 plates of early transfer ware from Creil and Monterau with the distinctive canary yellow band along with two partial services of hand painted patterns of Crown Derby are relegated to our overdecorated laundry. I think of it as my “Hall of Porcelain”. :love:
A2934F33-0731-4273-B993-6D7C286602BC.jpeg

Here is a photo of grandmother taken two years ago on her 92nd birthday and an example of Derby’s Tree of Life or Two Partridges pattern-inspired by Kaikimon of Japan. This moulded floral pattern by Derby is surrounded by my other great love-prints. I am brand new to collecting clocks.
A096B568-EBD1-4B27-B7F8-A3BC5E356B80.jpeg

Here is a sole Ludwigsburg porcelain plate. Notice the black spots from the firing.
74EBF78A-A553-4EF9-AC58-1DA60908C8E0.jpeg

I do have a set of Boch’s Napoleon’s battles transfer ware and this Chinoiserie pattern from Chamberlain’s Worcester in my kitchen (below is Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur).
7B32C579-0B71-40EF-B86A-7A905A6E8B59.jpeg

I also have more than my fair share of faience patronymique. I boxed all of my royal commemoratives when Her Majesty The Late Queen Elizabeth passed. Besides, mother thought that I had more than enough teacups. :emoji_raised_back_of_hand:
227CCF4B-9E8D-4DA6-9DE1-EC931135577D.jpeg

Here is a hand painted collection of 12 plates from Chamberlain’s that is still in the box as is my White Dolphins tea set from Wedgwood. I use the Wedgwood Black Florentine as everyday china. A wall can only hold so many plates, right? :cop:
1BE5A206-FDBD-4731-95EC-164EC6180CCD.jpeg

Last edited:

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Those wire suspensions can do a lot of damage to fine china. You might want to seek an alternative.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate the great documentation suggestion. This forum will also thankfully serve as documentation for many clocks by collectors. Alas, I have several paintings that have lost their provenance that was once attached to them in the form of a slip of paper. This eBay seller was marvelous to share the history and even send a photo with this gorgeous clock that arrived only yesterday from England. Yes, thanks for noticing my love of ceramics! I came by it honestly as grandmother already had a house full of ceramics so the 12 plates of early transfer ware from Creil and Monterau with the distinctive canary yellow band along with two partial services of hand painted patterns of Crown Derby are relegated to our overdecorated laundry. I think of it as my “Hall of Porcelain”. :love:
View attachment 738634
Here is a photo of grandmother taken two years ago on her 92nd birthday and an example of Derby’s Tree of Life or Two Partridges pattern-inspired by Kaikimon of Japan. This moulded floral pattern by Derby is surrounded by my other great love-prints. I am brand new to collecting clocks.
View attachment 738635
Here is a sole Ludwigsburg porcelain plate. Notice the black spots from the firing.
View attachment 738636
I do have a set of Boch’s Napoleon’s battles transfer ware and this Chinoiserie pattern from Chamberlain’s Worcester in my kitchen (below is Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur).
View attachment 738638
I also have more than my fair share of faience patronymique. I boxed all of my royal commemoratives when Her Majesty The Late Queen Elizabeth passed. Besides, mother thought that I had more than enough teacups. :emoji_raised_back_of_hand:
View attachment 738639
Here is a hand painted collection of 12 plates from Chamberlain’s that is still in the box as is my White Dolphins tea set from Wedgwood. I use the Wedgwood Black Florentine as everyday china. A wall can only hold so many plates, right? :cop:
View attachment 738637
Thanks for sharing your collection and interests.

All lovely things and wonderfully displayed.

Clock cases were made from porcelain, too.

That might be an area of horology that ties nicely into your interest in porcelain?

RM

HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
Central Appalachia
Country
Thanks for sharing your collection and interests.

All lovely things and wonderfully displayed.

Clock cases were made from porcelain, too.

That might be an area of horology that ties nicely into your interest in porcelain?

RM
Dear RM,

It really is my pleasure to share the passions that bring joy to our lives. Thank you for your kind words and astute suggestions. I am glad that we can share this love of clocks. Thanks for your support of this forum as a NAWCC member. I do look frequently for porcelain clocks, but do not see the quality that I found last year at this time. My previous acquisition has not been authenticated as a true Meissen example, but the underglaze crossed swords and other impressed marks certainly look right. Of course, the true test is the quality of the porcelain, moulding, painting, and finishing.

Please see:

I am sometimes tempted by Royal Bonn and some of the Dresden clock cases, but am trying to hold off for something really nice when it comes to clocks. Of course, I feel the pressure of being surrounded by so many esteemed horologists in the forums to attempt to outdo myself every year!:emoji_hugging:

Perhaps it is no surprise, but I truly long for a First Empire or earlier gilt clock to center between my candelabra made by Casimir Munch for the Royal House of Württemberg.
C8D066F1-04B9-4BA3-875F-AA5E58D92CE3.jpeg

57E4E45A-E4BA-4CE2-8995-E2B59E02EE98.jpeg

Yours most sincerely,

Howard

Last edited:
Reactions: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
Central Appalachia
Country
Those wire suspensions can do a lot of damage to fine china. You might want to seek an alternative.
Thanks for your excellent suggestion. Even though these hangers all have the plastic sleeves, I think it is time to pack some things up. I will act on this. Thanks again. I am currently trying to get my silver polished and packed away first.

Last edited:

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Dear RM,

It really is my pleasure to share the passions that bring joy to our lives. Thank you for your kind words and astute suggestions. I am glad that we can share this love of clocks. Thanks for your support of this forum as a NAWCC member. I do look frequently for porcelain clocks, but do not see the quality that I found last year at this time. My previous acquisition has not been authenticated as a true Meissen example, but the underglaze crossed swords and other impressed marks certainly look right. Of course, the true test is the quality of the porcelain, moulding, painting, and finishing.

Please see:

I am sometimes tempted by Royal Bonn and some of the Dresden clock cases, but am trying to hold off for something really nice when it comes to clocks. Of course, I feel the pressure of being surrounded by so many esteemed horologists in the forums to attempt to outdo myself every year!:emoji_hugging:

Perhaps it is no surprise, but I truly long for a First Empire or earlier gilt clock to center between my candelabra made by Casimir Munch for the Royal House of Württemberg.
View attachment 738648
View attachment 738649
Yours most sincerely,

Howard
Interesting clock.

Most of what I come across in my travels are American shelf clocks which may be marked Royal Bonn or no marks.

The gilt candelabra are nice. They would look good with a 1st Period Empire figural clock…all on a marble top Empire table with ormolu mounts?

Good luck in your search which is part of the fun.

RM

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
I like the marquetry on it. I picked up a painting(?) that was all marquetry without looking at it really close. As soon as I did, I was amazed at the craftsmanship in it. I got it at an auction for less then 5 dollars. I’d never heard or seen marquetry before this.

5EE80B0D-E439-4A4A-B578-9D0F731E6BEA.jpeg

HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
Central Appalachia
Country
Interesting clock.

Most of what I come across in my travels are American shelf clocks which may be marked Royal Bonn or no marks.

The gilt candelabra are nice. They would look good with a 1st Period Empire figural clock…all on a marble top Empire table with ormolu mounts?

Good luck in your search which is part of the fun.

RM

‘Yes. That would be a perfect clock RM, especially if it were an ormolu figurative Napoleonic commemorative clock ( my dream). Fellow members help me out, please. eBay has its limits, of course.
860F89C9-76BC-4E95-84C2-FFB8EFED7D1C.jpeg

Napoleonic still life oil painting by Charles Cerny, 1954.
BA75356E-7394-4A29-82F4-1E899E51BDE6.jpeg

Napoleonic battle parade lithographs by Art Deco artist Eduardo Garcia Benito (1892-1953).

Last edited:

HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
Central Appalachia
Country
I like the marquetry on it. I picked up a painting(?) that was all marquetry without looking at it really close. As soon as I did, I was amazed at the craftsmanship in it. I got it at an auction for less then 5 dollars. I’d never heard or seen marquetry before this.

View attachment 738692
Lovely! That is a really detailed example. I wonder if it was made in Germany? It looks like a European city? Thanks for sharing.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
‘Yes. That would be a perfect clock RM, especially if it were an ormolu figurative Napoleonic commemorative clock ( my dream). Fellow members help me out, please. eBay has its limits, of course.
View attachment 738686
Napoleonic still life oil painting by Charles Cerny, 1954.
View attachment 738691

Napoleonic battle parade lithographs by Art Deco artist Eduardo Garcia Benito (1892-1953).
To find the clock you seek, I would suggest checking out the offerings of auction houses or better antique shops. May not be inexpensive.

Since we're discussing inlaid clocks. A form of folk art was "folk marquetry". All sorts of objects were made ranging from small boxes to substantial case pieces. Clock cases were made, too.

I have previously posted on the Forums 2 examples.

This one is literally a mantel clock:

folk marquetry 1.jpg

The finish is a bit dark, making the inlay somewhat harder to see in the picture. Note how the brickwork is meticulously inlaid.

For more details, see this:

Make it funky! | NAWCC Forums

I think this next piece is a tour de force of the form:

folk marquetry 2.jpg

Note the top of the folk marquetry stand upon which the clock rests. A classic quilting pattern (I own such a quilt made from probably 100's of postage stamp sized cloth squares}. Reinforces the description by some that folk marquetry is male quilting.

Both pieces are anonymous and were most likely made for the entertainment and gratification of their creator.

For more info about this clock, see:

Folk art marquetry/parquetry clock | NAWCC Forums

Unfortunately, some of the pix originally posted were lost in the course of one of the so called upgrades of the Forums.

RM

folk marquetry 1.jpg folk marquetry 2.jpg

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
View attachment 738518
William Henry Hill was born in England in 1889. He entered into a cabinet maker's apprenticeship just after World War I. The clock case that was his final apprenticeship project is finished to a high degree employing marquetry techniques, including stylized flowers using mother of pearl inlay.
View attachment 738519
There is a small protuberance at the 12 sticking out. I was unable to move it in any way. What's this for please?
View attachment 738520
View attachment 738531
View attachment 738532
The clock case has art deco elements, but the undulating curves of the bottom trim is more representative of Art Nouveau design.
View attachment 738521
It measures approx 39 cm high 16 cm deep and 20cm wide. It contains a French Japy Freres movement.
View attachment 738522
View attachment 738533
What does this number signify? Can someone date this movement looking at the number or mark? The clock arrived today in great condition and keeps good time, but it is not chiming at the hour and half hour as it should. Any suggestions?
View attachment 738523
View attachment 738528
View attachment 738534
Mr. Hill died in the 1980's in Cromer, England, but his fine craftsmanship lives on. This is my 6th clock acquisition. Does anyone recognize the wood used or have any descriptive comments I might have left out? Feel free to share.
View attachment 738527
William Henry Hill and wife Elenore Hill (born 1891).
Just thought I would throw in another, IMHO, wonderful bit of folk marquetry. See:

Antiques and the Arts (olivesoftware.com)

Should bring you to page 18. See picture in about the middle of that page. If link does not bring you to that page, scroll down to it.

RM

HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
Central Appalachia
Country
Just thought I would throw in another, IMHO, wonderful bit of folk marquetry.
What a gorgeous marquetry table! Someone has acquired a real treasure. Thanks so much for sharing "The Bee". I really must subscribe again. I found several interesting articles. I appreciate your making this thread interesting and relevant.

Reactions: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trafxprt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry