A nice little resilvering project

SuffolkM

NAWCC Member
Jun 15, 2020
Country
This Winterhalder and Hoffmeier dial was in a sorry state. I think it was brown boot polish in the VIII numeral! It's usually possible to tell when W&H dials have not been restored, partly because they look very old and worn, but also there is a layer of copper under the silver (I assume this was done so the chapter ring could be electroplated, as W&H probably wanted to find efficiencies in their production process). The copper rarely survives a 'conventional' resilvering, although it is possible if you are very careful.

As a point of interest, I stripped this one back using the ultrasound machine and ammoniated clock cleaner. I don't know what others do, but I find that with the fluid at around 30C, old shellac will tend to come away cleanly and easily. The only slight annoyance is that you're gunging up the cleaner (much more so with longcase dials).

Well, after that, it was the usual affair with graded carbide paper, silver salts and microcrystalline wax to seal.

I always find this sort of work very satisfying, particularly the 'before and after'. I'm sure others do as well!

Michael

IMG_8433.jpeg IMG_8435.jpeg IMG_8444.jpeg IMG_8445.jpeg IMG_8454.jpeg IMG_8452.jpeg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Good job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member