A Newbies question about Kitchen clock pendulums

jsisler

Nov 18, 2000
I just bought this Kitchen movement The clock I'm talking about off of Ebay and it arrived without its pendulum. I purchased it for the FSW F101 that I'll be going to in Kirtland OH this March and I'll be going to the North Coast Regional scheduled beforehand. (My First!) Will there be people selling kitchen clock rods and pendulums in the mart and what exactly should I be looking for? Are most Kitchen clock pendulums the same? Any info on the clock mentioned/pictured would be appreciated so that I can impress the others!
Thank You!

jsisler

Nov 18, 2000
I just bought this Kitchen movement The clock I'm talking about off of Ebay and it arrived without its pendulum. I purchased it for the FSW F101 that I'll be going to in Kirtland OH this March and I'll be going to the North Coast Regional scheduled beforehand. (My First!) Will there be people selling kitchen clock rods and pendulums in the mart and what exactly should I be looking for? Are most Kitchen clock pendulums the same? Any info on the clock mentioned/pictured would be appreciated so that I can impress the others!
Thank You!

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hi jsisler-

Your movement isn't for a kitchen style case. Kitchen clock movements would have the mounting tabs on the back plate of the movement. This movement is more for a black mantel or tambour style. That would mean the pendulum you are looking for would be just a round bob instead of the fancier kitchen style pendulum.

Does this movement have a name or trademark symbol on it? Are you sure it isn't a modern Oriental reproduction? Sometimes the only way to tell is by tooth shape. I think I remember an American company using the guards on the mainsprings (Gilbert?) but don't think it was a common feature on American movements.

Good luck with it!

David,
NAWCC Life Member

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hi jsisler
As I see it, you have two options:

Count the teeth in the going train (not impossible with clock assembled) and from that you can calculate the pendulum length (come back to us for help on this)

Make a temporary pendulum and adjust length for good timekeeping

Keep ticking
Mike

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
This movement is definitely not a kitchen movement, it is a front mount. Looking at the picture it is the new movement sold as a replacemnt by the parts houses, that's made in India. I had one come in for repair, and it hadn't held up very well. I would advise you when you go to the Regional to look for the right replacement movement, antique, for you clock. If this was represented as a kitchen movement, I'd complain.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC #35863

jsisler

Nov 18, 2000
Well, I did it, and what a fantastic experience FSW 101 was! I would like to thank all those that responded to my questions and concerns. It turns out I had a movement that was acceptable and I found a simple pendulum weight to use.
I appreciated the help you all gave. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacey_AEH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre