A New Toy

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by shutterbug, Jun 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 shutterbug, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    I bought a robotic lawn mower. Cute little guy, and fun to watch ... and I can use the time I save to work on clocks :D
    I built a little house for it to protect it from the elements. It's just a common tote with the end cut off. It will go back into it when it needs to recharge, or when it's done mowing. It will also go back when it detects rain. I could never tell from my window whether it was in the box or not, so I invented a little "flag" that sticks up when he's out, and lies flat when he's in. If you look closely, you'll see that I put little stakes through the holes on the corners to hold it in case it storms.
    Here's my new toy :)

IMG_4370.JPG IMG_4371.JPG IMG_4372.JPG

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Love it!

I have always fancied a robotic vacuum cleaner but we have Persian rugs and they don't get on well with the fringes I'm told. Might struggle with the thresholds between rooms with carpet and rooms with floorboards and rugs too.

When I had an acre of lawn I had a ride on. Had a list of friends who said they would cut the grass for free to use the ride on, they all fell by the wayside, I had to do it myself, two or three times a week sometimes an hour at a time.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a robot vacuum too, and love it! It transitions from rug to board just fine. It might get hung on fringes though :)

4. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi shutterbug, it looks like some sort of Clover; your Lawn? Is it programmed to go into the little house by itself?? In Australia we have something similar; it is called a Goat. Regards Ray

PatH likes this.
  5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    LOL. The city would frown on the goat idea :) I have a big issue with a weed called "Creeping Charlie". That's what you see. I have put out weed killer, but it won't activate until later today when it rains. That should take care of ol' Charlie :D Yes, it returns and starts automatically. No need for human intervention.

6. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi shutterbug, just like a Goat. Regards Ray

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    But it doesn't make messy piles on my lawn :D

8. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does it cut randomly or does it follow a set pattern?

And do you outline the boundaries?

David

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks random, but it has some kind of pattern because it doesn't leave areas uncut. You have to border the area with wire, and mark areas you don't want it to enter (like flower beds). Then it will stay within the boundaries you set. There is a small voltage that is supplied to the wire, and that's how it functions and knows how to get back to the charging base. It won't start without the wire boundary. It took me about four hours to establish the boundaries. They are permanent, so it's a one time deal ;)

Steve Patton likes this.
  10. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your new toy would be wasted on my "lawn" - it's mostly weeds of some sort. And my dog does a number on the grass because the lawn is only 225 sq ft - in 3 discontinuous sections. Mostly, I use an electric weed whacker. But I do have a 12" cut electric mower. It looks like a 5-year-old's toy mower (bright green) & my neighbors laugh at me when they see me using it.

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    But you'd be the first in your neighborhood to have one! :D

12. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Good move Shutterbug---I have acquired quite a few of the Worx brand cordless tools. Yard tools and power DIY tools. I have no complaints and really like them all. I do not have the robotic mower but I'm sure it's on par with all other Worx products.
    They are a very innovative company with.great products

13. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm tempted by their trimmer/edger with the wheels to use it as a mini mower. I might not look as silly using that as I do with my bright green 12" mower.

14. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great stuff shuts.

If you wouldn't mind altering the software a little? and add...

<<go-to 51.5014° N, 0.1419° W//-1xweekly-for-may-to-sept>>cut-shimmysteps-lawn//>

15. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    LOL. Sorry Shimmy, it won't function outside of the wire boundaries :)
    I had a chance this morning to see if it's rain detector works. It peeked out and went right back in it's house :thumb:

16. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like the "Worx" tools I've purchased to date. How much can this robot do on a single charge SB? Battery Technology is pretty advanced over what it was just a decade ago. I suppose it's best not to have any curious pets hanging around when it goes to do it's thing. Since it only needs to "see" the wire boundaries, I suppose it will run day or night, right? Internal quartz clock? Sharp blades on the business end?

17. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It runs about 2 hours, goes back to recharge for 1 1/2 hours, then back to work. The neighbors cat followed it clear around the perimeter of the yard the other day, and back to it's house. Then lost interest since it stopped moving I guess. The blades are razor blades that can be flipped once, then replaced. It mows only 7 inches at a time, but it has lots of time and doesn't mind the extra miles:) When it needs to recharge, it goes in a straight line until it runs into the return side of the boundary wire. It will then follow that wire (CCW) back to the charging base. Yes, it can run day or night, is pretty quiet, and the start and end times are programmable if you prefer, or it is self programming if you want that. You can also set up to four areas and assign them days if you want to. I just let it do it by itself.