A new one

Laird

Feb 20, 2016
Country
While I haven't resolved the issues with my other one ('Troublesome' thread), I have found another one of the same model, which arrived today.
The scratched number on the pendulum matches the serial no., so it's original.
This one is running, straight from the package it arrived in. That doesn't happen very often. Now I have something to compare with, to try and figure out what this one has that the 'troublesome' one doesn't.

aa1.JPG aa2.JPG

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
The serial number 2372780 shows your clock was made near the beginning of 1920.

My database shows there was a 3-1/2 year break in production of 400-Day clocks during WWI from about mid-1916 to the beginning of 1920, based on there not being any clocks found with serial numbers between 2310200 (mid-1916) and 2372500 (early 1920). GB continued to make other types of clocks during the war, the serial numbered types being almost entirely bracket and mantel clocks with Westminster chimes. They also made wall clocks and mantel clocks using Amerikaner design movements with no serial numbers, as well as alarm clocks and various utility clocks that don't have serial numbers.

Your clock is interesting in particular because of the base being one of the "original" base designs used by GB. Starting around the time of the introduction of the No. 8 upper bracket with beat adjustment in March 1913, GB started phasing out this base design and using a more simple flared base design that until now I had thought was used exclusively for all glass dome 400-Days after the war. In this instance, I would say that your clock is another example of GB using "new old stock" to finish clocks for the market, since there are a few of these recorded in 1914-1916 leading up to the halt in production. Your clock is thus far the "only" one I've documented made after WWI that has the older design base. I do think it is original to the clock, and certainly the pendulum is original since it has the movement serial number scribed underneath the disc.

Your clock appears to be in very good original condition and since it is running well I can understand you might wait a while before giving it the once-over to clean, lubricate, and regulate the movement as well as to consider polishing the brass. Many collectors would leave the cosmetics "as is" except to clean off any dust and dirt. In any event it's a good one!

Laird

Feb 20, 2016
Country
Many thanks for all the information. It makes owning the clock that much more interesting.
Looking at the base I have indeed been tempted to polish it, as cosmetically it's not in great shape, but so far I've resisted, particularly as the clock is running and keeping time. That might well change as I like them bright and shiny.
What I do see is that the fork movement is small compared to other clocks I have, and the wire is the bronze type, not a horolovar, and the pendulum rotation is approx. 280 degrees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacey_AEH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre