A New New Haven Acquisition?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Isaac, Apr 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Turns out I've grown quite fond of New Haven's early case styles (if this is a New Haven product). Recently got this for what I think is a good price. It'll look nice to it's similarly ornamented Chime #3 counterpart in my collection after I clean it up and service the movement - something to keep me busy during the quarantine period.

Can anyone give me a positive ID that this is indeed a New Haven product, along with movement information/catalog description if possible? Thanks!

Antique European Style Mantel Clock w/Statue Topper | eBay

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I am curious why you think this is a New Haven?

I am not an expert on American clocks, but this looks very odd to me. The case ornamentation seems to be nailed on with large brass tacks and those figures on the side pillars are too short. And what is the bell on the top for - it doesn't seem to have any hammer.

Years ago I had a bracket clock with a large bell on the top, just like yours (but without the topper, which I also think is an addition) but sadly I no longer have it and can't remember who the maker was.

I hope I am wrong and that someone else will come along with more accurate information, but to me it just isn't 'right'.

JTD

3. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah! Found the post that I read a long while back that pointed me towards this being a New Haven product. This is the Cabinet #10 - the bell is decoration (or might be the Anita). New Haven liked to do strange things earlier on with their clock offerings. Sadly some of the pictures seem to have disappeared from the post, but Chris Radano's post still has some pictures of a very similar clock to mine (His doesn't have the brass trim around the bottom).

French or German?

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Yep, it was a hard sell, and I see that I need to re-add pictures - yet again.

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005

Well it looks as if I was wrong. Your clock does indeed look very like Chris Radano's, except for the brass trim on the base.

For your sake I'm glad I was wrong, but to me it still looks odd!

JTD

6. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Isaac, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Yeah, I took a gamble. What is interesting is the difference between Chris Radano's movement and the movement on mine, as well as the strike gong orientation. I'm also unsure if the movement on mine is the 15 day duration movement or the 8 day duration. Perhaps someone could shed some more light? Also would appreciate any tips/things to look out for on this movement, if anyone's worked on them.

Looks like this one has a relatively large cathedral gong, so hopefully it'll sound nice when it strikes.

I guess you could say I have a soft spot for odd/strange looking clocks! New Haven seemed to try to emulate the earlier French/German clocks early on in its production run.

7. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I re-added the pictures missing from post 1 in French or German? thread. So far as I can tell, your movement is the same as mine, and I think it is a 15-day movement (I haven't run it in some years). And it does have a nice gong - that I remember.

8. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the photos. Yours looks really nice! Also strange to not see all of the cams/levers on the front plate of the movement. Looks pretty robust and will be interesting to see how well it's built once it arrives.

9. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you know if the solid pinion 15 day movement was offered in any other cases?

10. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Offhand, I don’t, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

11. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Steven. Last question - if you serviced the movement on yours, is there anything to look out for regarding assembly/disassembly, or weak/wear points that you noticed?

Thanks everyone.

12. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I don’t service my clock movements, but when I did have it serviced, the guy who did the work did not mention anything out of the ordinary.

Isaac likes this.
  13. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Received the clock today - spent most of the time giving the case TLC and it turned out great! The movement is quite substantial and definitely interesting in the fact that the snail on the back of the movement moves by notches instead of a continuous motion like most clocks.

Before pictures + movement pics:

IMG_0615.jpg IMG_0616.jpg IMG_0619.jpg IMG_0621.jpg IMG_0623.jpg

chimeclockfan likes this.
  14. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After cleaning and waxing the case + reinstalling the movement:

IMG_0625.jpg IMG_0626.jpg IMG_0629.jpg IMG_0630.jpg IMG_0631.jpg