A new KAISER in my house

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by PedroCortes, Aug 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PedroCortes

PedroCortes Registered User

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear friends.

Today I went to Verona (Italy) to find this new Kaiser.

It was sold to me by a boy who bought it in tha past at a very low price. The lady who sold it to him did not know what he had in his hands because he sold it for less than 70 euros.
    Clearly I have bought it for much more.
    For what I have read in some thread .... of this type only 1,500 units were made. In the specifics of this model with the white background they did not produce more than 150 units. This is true?

I am very happy because it works perfectly and I will not have to put my hand on it. To adjust the time is done in the same way as the other older Kaiser?

I leave a video of it's working in case someone wants to contribute something or help me in something.

IMG_20180819_220313.jpg

Keith Conklin likes this.
  2. PedroCortes

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
  3. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I do not know the numbers, but I remember that John Hubby stated that your model with the buttons for numbers was the rarest. I have the version with the balls on brass tubes, but it occasionally stops on me. So, a rare model in fine working condition; a very nice find.

4. markiemark

markiemark Registered User

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Kaiser Grand Universe, yes I have one too. The brass on my one is wearing quite thin.

pic4 after.jpg pic5 after.jpg

5. PedroCortes

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    As I have seen that you have the same clock that I thought that maybe you can help me with two questions

Why when the 10:00 is marked the small needle is not exactly the 10?

Why the big needle dances as seen in the video?

As this is my favorite watch I would like to be able to fix these little things...

Pedro

IMG_20180831_175909.jpg IMG_20180831_175455.jpg

6. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can move the hour hand to point directly at 10 but yours is very close. There is usually some 'play' in the hour hand so when it is between 12 and 6 it will fall forward a small amount and when it is between 6 and 12 it will be a bit behind. The minute hand on the Kaiser's does not use typical 400 day tension and the 2 minutes of 'play' or 'dance' is normal on these. See this thread for a bit of a discussion on the motion works in this clock.

7. PedroCortes

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
  8. markiemark

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Yes, mine is the same, about 2 minutes of play in the minute hand, in fact probably a bit more. Your lucky to get such a clean looking clock. While we are here I have a question. When I got my clock it was in bad condition. The pin sticking upright out of the top of the anchor was broken off. I would like to get a photo of the top of the movement showing this as I have made a fix but not sure if it's accurate enough and I'm not sure how close that pin should be to the suspension spring. The first close up photo shows the top of the movement with the pin broken off (a bit blurry I know). Other photos just for FYI showing original condition and including a video of it running beside a Kaiser Universe after restoration.

IMG_1683.jpg IMG_1670.jpg IMG_1708.jpg IMG_1714.jpg

9. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not sure this picture will help you. I have seen pictures and read about the Kaiser offset anchor on this board but mine is not that model. My anchor pin comes out of the back of the anchor and then is bent so it is very close to the back plate.

Very nice job of cleaning up your clock!
    image000000 (61).jpg

10. PedroCortes

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I hope these photos can help you ... thanks! To your observations I have seen that my needle is a little crooked. I do not know if this will be normal but the clock is going well.

IMG_20180901_040740.jpg IMG_20180901_040514.jpg IMG_20180901_040514.jpg

11. PedroCortes

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Another photo.

IMG_20180901_040555.jpg IMG_20180901_040544.jpg IMG_20180901_040555.jpg

12. markiemark

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. Mine is a little different being an offset anchor. No worries. It used to run well but lately it stops to often and I can't get it back to running continuously!