A New Becker in The Family

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by claussclocks, Sep 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently did some work helping set-up a collection of clocks for an estate sale and get as many running as I could on-site for the sale. They offered to let me pick a clock for my time. I chose this Becker one weight.

It's in beautiful condition. Now I just have to clear a spot to hang it. :rolleyes:

I sent a PM to John Hubby to see if he has a date for it
    Serial #1248158

If anyone else has any input I would appreciate it.

Clock.jpg Front.jpg movement.jpg

Royce, PatH and Dave T like this.
  2. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A wonderful clock!

3. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice find David!

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That serial number is probably around August/September of 1896.

Kurt

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A very nice find. I really like GB clocks.

6. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank You

7. Love clocks

Love clocks Registered User

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Vienna Regulator.jpg

SNAP...we too bought one recently. C1871-1899 . Very nice clocks, though here in Australia the value of them has dropped considerably.

PatH and claussclocks like this.
  8. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice. The prices here are depressed or depressing as well if you are trying to sell clocks. I have bought clocks for $100 that once sold for several times that. Great for building a collection but bad if you are trying to sell for profit.
    I feel they will cycle back around so my kids can profit from my excursions into horology.

9. 124Spider

124Spider Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Alas, I don't think so. The prices of nice old clocks have dropped, obviously, because the supply exceeds the present demand, probably because of old clocks flooding the market as old people died and their children did not want old clocks. Since I have seen precious little evidence that the generation born in the 1980s and beyond has any interest in old mechanical clocks, I see no reason to believe that the demand for old clocks will be picking up (with an accompanying uptick in the prices).

That's not really a problem for me, since I never intended to sell my clocks. But my children, when they sell my clocks after I die, will get less for them than I paid for them.

10. Love clocks

Love clocks Registered User

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Yes, I hope so too. As you say, it is great if you are buying at the moment. When I was in my teens (many, many years ago), I always wanted a longcase clock but they were sooooooo expensive that it was only a dream. Now we have not one but three French Longcase Comtoise Clocks and an English Granddaughter clock. Something I never thought I'd see let alone have. My aim now is to find a nice English Longcase.

claussclocks likes this.
  11. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Like you, I was fascinated with clocks from childhood. Also like you, I could only dream of owning some of the clocks I saw when I was a teen. I did not buy them as an investment. I bought them because I just like them, I consider them a part of history that I can own, and almost every clock I have seen is beautiful in some way. They deserve to be preserved because they are a part of our history. If the value goes up, whoopee!! If not, I enjoy them and I have a daughter who does as well. In fact, she has begun learning to repair them. In this day and time that is good because there are getting to be fewer young who do.

DPC

PatH likes this.