• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

A lot of wood is used in this one.

P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
The Netherlands
Country
In 2014 in another thread on a holzraderuhr I congratulated the new owner of a beautiful holzraderuhr. Now today this one has made its way to my house and I am now also a proud owner of such a clock. Does anyone know where this type of clock was made?? It seems there where different place/country's where they where produced. All information is welcome. And no, I do not have the book by Schaaf about holzraderuhen, but like to buy that book.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
From Frank Snyder on another site;

The date is correct..it's Bohemian. The crown wheel using steel pins is the giveaway. I've seen quite a few clocks like this over the years. The Black Forest Clocks of this early type in woodworks have crown wheels are totally made of wood ..similar to the profile of Morbier crown wheels but all wood. The Black Forest clocks can also be identified by the thinness of the wheels and contours of the tooth tips..
This is an original piece posted..and it is of that age mentioned if not earlier

P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
The Netherlands
Country
Jim, thanks you very much. I am not sure if I do understand you correctly: "From Frank Snyder on another site" . I am not familiar with this kind of clock but does mr. Frank Snyder discusses this clock anywhere else on a site? Where can I find this information from mr. Snyder?

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Frank Snyder is a friend on FaceBook. He does a lot of Black Forest clock restorations IIRC. He just shared this one with me on Messenger a few minutes ago. I will request contact information for him and PM you with it if he wants to share more. edit; Contact information for Frank sent to you

1670413116906.png 1670413187976.png

Last edited:

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
P., Here's one I posted a few years ago..

P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
The Netherlands
Country
Ralph, thanks. Thats an interesting clock as well! Looks like there are not many "holzraderuhren" still around. Not much information to find on the net.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trafxprt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry