A little help to get me started, please!

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Rick Hufnagel, Jan 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello everyone!

I've been working on learning watch repair, and have mainly focused my efforts to that task... Lately I've been drawn toward earlier american watches, and many different companies. I've heard many books being referenced, and I definitely need to start a small library to do research.
    First off I ordered the complete price guide to watches, which I should have done ages ago.
    I can not find a copy of the history of the American watch case that isn't priced completely reduliculous.... Does anyone know a source for this?

I've heard of "mirolisk" or something like that it seems to have a ton of information as well, if anyone knows about that book.

Or if I'm totally off base, please any recommendations to get me into some information About new York watch co, Hampden, Lancaster, Rockford, any of the older manufacturers. What watches to collect, what to look for, grades and any information really.

I just need a little help getting oriented and pointed in the right direction. There's so many books I see referenced, and I don't know where to start!

Thanks!
    Rick Hufnagel .

2. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Mostly you will more need information on the watch movements the cases were secondary and depended on the wants and need of thee people that purchased them. When you pick a watch research the movement inside, and that case book is over rated.

3. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Definitely need materials to research the movements, the case book I just thought was facinating. And I have a few I can't identify a maker on. What makes it over rated?

4. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
  5. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For basic information I purchased a few of Roy Ehrhardt's books, Elgin, Waltham and Illinois parts catalogs(reprints), the gold book "American Pocket Watches, Identification and Price Guide" by Ehrhardt and Meggers. I purchased a couple of watch case catalog reprints but they were of little use. I picked up some old issues of the NAWCC publication focusing on the Waltham watches I collect and any book that I found that sounded interesting. I also have a copy of George Daniels book, Archie Perkins book on lathes, Price's book on the Model 1857, and "Waltham, Trench Watches of the Great War" by Stanley Czubernat..

Richard Hufnagel likes this.
  6. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Richie! I do have Elgin catalogs on a CD, and Waltham ones too I found out when looking at your 14s. I will look into those books you mentioned, I appreciate it!

7. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I feel the cost to the information within the book is over rated mostly just patent information.

8. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You might look into Ehrhardt & Meggers "American Pocket Watches, Identification and Price Guide, Beginning to End... 1830 to 1999". It's probably the most comprehensive as far as American movement identification and has other valuable information like dial foot positions, etc.

9. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Dave! I just ordered one, that was an easy one to find and an inexpensive one . Awesome!

10. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Ehrhardt Meggers Illinois Encyclopedia is a great reference buut it it is too pricey you might consider Mike Chamelin books, one is "The 16 size Illinois Bunn Special" and the other is "The Sangamo Special". These are very specific and give an insight into just how much effort can go into studying of one American watch type.

For repair the Bulove book is worth having. As a general rule buy books when they are in print. They almost always get ridiculously expensive when the go out of print.

11. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I'm faced with buying a book that I think I'd like to have but it is fairly expensive, I first borrow it from the NAWCC library. I peruse it -- not reading it in detail -- and if I think it is worthwhile then I'll look for a source and buy one. This has saved me a fair amount of money when a couple of books were being hyped as great and turned out not to be in my opinion.

Frank

12. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks everybody! My copy of the Ehrhardt & Meggers "American Pocket Watches, Identification and Price Guide is out for delivery today, so I'm pretty excited.

I've also read through the complete price guide to watches.... And boy do I have some opinions of that book. But the information about the companies, movements, and so on is wonderfull. I received it Saturday and have had my head stuck in it since.

I've heard of borrowing books from the library, how do I go about getting started doing this. You have all shared titles that I would love to look at, but if I could do like what Frank said, it would certainly be alot easier than buying a bunch of expensive books.

13. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is certainly infinite amounts of subjects and such to learn. I know I'm just starting out, and my posts are certainly not the best, but I can at least share the little experience I have. I know as a new member it's always nice when someone just even says hello, so that's what I try to do when new people show up. I would love to learn more and research the things that interest me, so this library lending program sounds great! Maybe someday be able to contribute something worthwhile, other than opinions.

14. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Richard, you take the price guide with a large grain of salt, the original staff is no longer there and I don't know who is continuing the work. It was always meant to be a guide and not a bible. I use it to primarily compare to prices being asked at marts or on Ebay. The Erhardt-Meggars book is great as it has many of the odd names in it of the major makers so when you have a question about who may have made it, you can find an answer many times.