20th c A Lange and Söhne Glashütte Dresden Regulator Spanner

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Another of my watches. It needs a bit of fine regulating. The adjuster is a square with no screw slot. I am wondering what would be the best tool to use. I believe there were special spanners made for this.

IMG_8851.jpeg IMG_8853.jpeg IMG_8854.jpeg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Stephen,

Do you have anything that would make a slot to fit that, such as a piercing saw? If so, cutting a short slot in the end of a piece of brass, (rather than steel), would be the easiest way if you can't source the proper tool.

Regards,

Graham

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Hi Stephen,

Do you have anything that would make a slot to fit that, such as a piercing saw? If so, cutting a short slot in the end of a piece of brass, (rather than steel), would be the easiest way if you can't source the proper tool.

Regards,

Graham
Hello Graham. That's a good idea. I don't really have a suitable saw at the moment but I could get one. I had thought a balance screw holder might work but I think the angle is too awkward (I haven't actually tried this). It's rather a special watch that I obviously don't want to harm in any way.

This watch still has its (possibly original) protective pouch.

IMG_8856.jpeg

Last edited:

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Stephen,
It's rather a special watch that I obviously don't want to harm in any way.
That's why I suggested brass. Those screws are quite delicate and any sideways pressure must be avoided, so a slot in the end of a short length of brass rod or strip should do the job.

Regards,

Graham

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Hi Stephen,

That's why I suggested brass. Those screws are quite delicate and any sideways pressure must be avoided, so a slot in the end of a short length of brass rod or strip should do the job.

Regards,

Graham
OK Graham. I will try to fabricate something. It's very unlikely I will find an original tool. This watch is an absolute joy to behold.

Last edited:

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
I think the serial number dates this watch to about 1912.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I would try to use a watch key. If the handle on the key interferes cut off the end and put it in a pin vise.

If this does not gain good access the next trick is to slice across the key to it os open on two sides. This will enable you to hold teh square from teh top and tourn it.

Usually this type of screw has two holes one in each direction . A pin goes in to turn a 1/4 turn at time.

Reactions: Bernhard J.

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Yes I have seen the type with a hole for a pin but this one does not have a hole. I was thinking about trying a watch key as you suggest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerm346
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-