A James Hoddell Lever

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Travler1, Jan 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Travler1

Travler1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    florida
    Hello all ....Having read John Mathews recent post on his spectacular cased Hoddell. I thought I might be able to add something of this maker. The movement is in an American case with a maker stamp of G. D. & CO. and the serial number on the case and movement is 9605

I have no idea of the merits of this movement other than than It appears to be a side lever with the banking pins located at the very last portion of the lever (opposite end from the fork ) as well as having a hack feature

..I’m mostly blind when attempting to view the inner depths of a English full plate fusee, not to mention my lack of knowledge is a hindrance. However I did view the roller table with a ruby pin inserted into the table ...and could see what I might call a wide gaped/jawed fork being impulsed by the ruby pin and jewels on the pallets. The steel of the lever appeared to be stainless or chromed ...very high polish

I was hoping that I might garner some insight as to the US case maker and also the movement features . A comparable serial number in a proper English case would be a dream So I might be able to date the movement Thanks in advance for any assistance ....John . D8A96661-AE4A-4532-BD83-43486081C24C.jpeg 7B59F1ED-E22C-498D-BD70-F4142C1BD9DF.jpeg AF8D5BBD-93C4-4F87-B7DE-5F5768C55B55.jpeg B9ECBC3D-EADA-483E-9FAD-A5FFDD15EF72.jpeg

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John,

Now I see where the picture in your other Hoddell thread on the chronometer came from!

This watch is very similar to one in David Penney's archive; that has a serial number some 5000 higher than yours, and he's dated it around 1865. However, without knowing how many watches Hoddell made/sold in a year it's hard to make a guess on the date of yours. The cock with a window allowing sight of the jewelled centre arbor was apparently quite popular with American customers.

It is by the way, a 'Liverpool Runner', even though Hoddell was based in Coventry.

Regards,

Graham

small toc and Keith R... like this.