A J Harrison watch

PWR_family

Jun 5, 2016
West Chester, PA
Country
Can anyone tell me anything about this watch -- especially the unique dial ? Is this special? I was amazed it still runs for a few minutes without any effort .....
IMG_3310.jpg
IMG_3324.JPG

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Re: john harrison pocket watch

Hi PWR_family, and welcome to the Forum,

Although your watch is signed for J. Harrison like the one originally posted in this rather ancient thread, yours is not a "Swiss fake", but an English watch, made in Liverpool as signed, although not the John Harrison of Longitude fame; there are other watches known signed for this Harrison, and there's no reason to suppose that he didn't exist!

It looks like a decent quality watch with a fancy gold dial in an ornate gold case, dating from sometime in the second quarter of the 19th century. If you can take some pictures of any stamped marks inside the case we can probably date it more accurately and tell who made the case, if they're English hallmarks.

I suggest that we ask a Moderator to split this post off and start a new thread for you.

Regards,

Graham

PWR_family

Jun 5, 2016
West Chester, PA
Country

Graham

Thanks for your reply

Not sure how to ask a moderator anything.....but feel free or give me some direction....

Would these photos be of help?

Steve

IMG_3314.jpg IMG_3315.jpg

Keith R...

NAWCC Member
Nov 27, 2012
South
Country
Region

^American Eagle 18K case, is it not? Keith

PS, which means you will have follow the case maker to assist with dating,
and lastly the movement maker.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region

Hi Steve,

I've already asked if it can be split off. The small triangle icon at the bottom of each post is used to talk to a Moderator.

Your pictures confirm that the case isn't English, but as Keith has said, American, which is not unusual to find, since many bare movements were exported from Liverpool and cased in the US to get around import duties. Unfortunately, there isn't the dating information here which English hallmarks would provide, but someone may know about the case maker's activity.

If you do decide to have the case tested, please don't use acid; it only confirms the surface composition and disfigures the case needlessly. There are non-destructive ways of doing this. In any case, knowing whether it's 14 or 18 carat, or indeed anything else, in my opinion has little relevance to the aesthetic or technical merits of a watch.

Regards,

Graham

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country

Sorry for the delay, but as you can see this watch now has its own thread.

Keith R...

NAWCC Member
Nov 27, 2012
South
Country
Region

I agree with Graham. Guys, that's an 18K Eagle stamp. Why test it?
PWR, this means solid gold.

Keith

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DAC21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-