FDelGreco

Moore NWCM Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
I really enjoyed the national convention. It was fun and educational. I even bought an English lantern clock (my fourth).

There were about 400 tables in the mart, spread out to fill the room and reduce Covid concerns. So I did a lot of walking, including to and from the attached hotel. As a result, even though I ate well at the Old Timers and Fellows lunch, the donor dinner, and the banquet, I lost three pounds!

Our new board chair is Jim Price. From my experiences communicating and working with him, I believe he will make an outstanding chair.

The annual meeting was very interesting. Members asked many questions and we all got straight answers. It looks like, because of visa problems in England, we won’t be seeing our new ED until February. But he’s working on various projects remotely for us as a consultant right now. As the keynote speaker, he recorded a video presentation about himself and his goals that we watched Thursday night. I hope that it will be put on the website so everyone can view it

My only disappointments of the convention were that there were only about six craft competition entries – even though members had two years to work on their projects. As a result, everyone got a ribbon – sort of like a participation trophy. And there were no national committee meetings.

I thank the co-chairs – Judy Draucker and Rich Newman – and all the volunteers for doing an outstanding job organizing and implementing the convention.

Frank

Rhett Lucke

Board Vice Chair
Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 18, 2001
rrstd.com
Country
Frank,

I agree, the convention committee and volunteers did an excellent job of putting on this event. It wasn't that long ago that they still were not sure that we would have a National Convention and only a few weeks ago that we learned that most Virginia's Covid restrictions were being lifted. I wish however, that I could echo your comments regarding weight loss. I also logged a lot of miles, but am afraid that the excellent hotel breakfasts and convention banquet's may have resulted in me finding those pounds you lost :(

In addition to the mart, I was glad to see strong attendance and participation in the banquets, exhibit and lectures. The exhibit was great with the main contributors and spending many hours in the exhibit room, giving attendees a personal tour of the objects. The lecture agenda incorporated a wide range of topics, with something for everyone and good attendance at the ones I participated in. The banquets also had very strong attendance, which was great to see.

I would also like to give a shout-out to the hotel and convention center staff's as well. This was the first large event either had hosted since the start of Covid and both were obviously short on staff. Although overloaded and stressed at times, they all seemed focused on making sure everyone was taken care of.

Looking forward to next years convention in Dayton. With Covid hopefully further in the rearview mirror, a fairly central location and planning already getting started - I expect another excellent national with even a stronger turnout.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
One my friends was at the National and was a little dissappointed that there were very few tables selling parts for clocks or watches, mostly completed movements. He said the conferences were very good and informative. Wish I could have been there, we are still trying to get our old venue back for marts but the priest from the church has not been too warm to the idea even though we have been meeting there for years, hoping he changes his mind as venues in NJ are very expensive and makes selling a mart very difficult due to cost.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

Leroy Baker

Board Member
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Dec 2, 2007
Country
Region
Well, If you are a clock guy..... where is the other half of the NAWCC.........

It is amazing that no watch pictures were taken... Obvious bias..... :eek:
Those photos no doubt reflect that attendee’s interests. Check the official NAWCC facebook page for a wider selection of photos. John Cote was posting photos that were sent to him by others in attendance (John couldn’t be there).

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Donor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
I can't find anything on the NAWCC Facebook page. I'm not a user of Facebook, but what I can see without logging in suggests it hasn't posted since April.

Can someone post a link to these photos? I must be looking in the wrong place. Thanks!

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
I can't understand why these weren't posted here. The following are pointers to the photos. I did not take them. Then again, I can possibly understand. Interesting that there have been few comments about the convention.
[URL unfurl="true"

]Facebook

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I doubt we will see any face to face meetings here in Canada till well into the new year. I myself is not eager to remove my mask for any indoor meetings.

Nookster

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Oct 5, 2010
Wyoming
www.vintagehamilton.com
Country
Region
I have not attended a National in 20 years, you folks never seem to want to have them on the west coast? Was fun catching up with everyone and meeting some new faces. I know this was not an NAWCC employee, but that guy at the door opening day was just rude to all. That's when the petition went around for all to sign about how badly it was managed. Same guy yelling on the microphone about the car blocking the driveway. If you were there, you remember the event.

Otherwise was a fun time, few glitches. I just wish there was a way to get more sellers and attendees, but in these times it's understood why people did not attend.

I did make it to Denver, was fun catching up with all my buddies there.

Be well all.

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2008
Nookster, the reason there have been no Nationals on the west coast is because no Regionals have requested to host one. The last one was in the L.A. area in I believe 2012. I did not attend it, but someone that did told me it was small. The problem is finding people to do the work.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
That's exactly right. A National (or even a Regional) requires a sponsoring Chapter. There just doesn't seem to be any interest among the West Coast Chapters to do this. The last West Coast National in 2012 was nice and well run, but indeed underwhelming in size and attendance. It seems that many of the East Coast collectors and dealers do not want to travel to the West Coast for a show. I think East Coast Nationals (or, at least, east of the Mississippi) are going to be the norm for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 179

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derek
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last book
400 day pendulums by happycusa