A good rinse for shedding water on parts after ultrasonic cleaning...

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
This idea is not mine, but learned it from David Labounty some years back. I use a 50-50 mix of Xylene and odorless mineral spirits for my second rinse. Any water drops left on the movement parts after the first water rinse (to wash off the ultrasonic fluids) immediately fall off the parts and drops to the bottom. Drying after that is a cinch, as the 50-50 mix dries rapidly with a heated blower.

At some point, the 50-50 mix can be carefully poured into another container, keeping an eye that the water drops in the bottom do not go into the container, then discard the remaining water and solution, wiping out the original container with a paper towel for any residue. The 50-50 mix that was poured into the second container can then be returned to the original for re-use. All safety precautions, of course, should be followed per the instruction on use of the products.

Secondly, when rinsing with water, you'll get a lot less water marks and staining if you use either distilled water or reverse osmosis water for rinsing, especially on the nicer, higher priced clocks and such.

Hope this helps a little, especially for those that are new to clock repair!...........................gary

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Thanks, doc. I whomped up a batch of LaB's mixture a while back, but retired it because of the xylene smell. Couldn't stand it.
Not a reason for others to avoid it. It works as advertised. But my initial batch is sealed in a can somewhere off in storage, where it will probably spend its life.:eek:

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
I just use alcohol after a hot water rinse.Wipe all parts off with a cotton cloth. Not spots and dry in a dryer. I stay away from chemicals that need to be avoided and need special care in handling.

Reactions: bebem

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Thanks, doc. I whomped up a batch of LaB's mixture a while back, but retired it because of the xylene smell. Couldn't stand it.
Not a reason for others to avoid it. It works as advertised. But my initial batch is sealed in a can somewhere off in storage, where it will probably spend its life.:eek:
I don't think the xylene is actually needed. Odorless mineral spirits should work just as well.

Uhralt

mauleg

NAWCC Member
Dec 26, 2012
Country
Like bangster, I'm not a fan of Xylene. I've found that compressed air (hold onto small parts so that they don't fly away), followed by a blow dryer is adequate. Good point about the distilled water, doc!

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Xylene has fumes that I can't stand. It is also quite flammable. With a proper vent hood I suppose it would be tolerable. Can't pour it into the sewer, and probably shouldn't pour it on the ground. With compressed air one should at minimum have an inline water separator and remembers to drain it as needed.

Has anyone tried Jet Dry or similar dishwasher products to help water run off? I wonder if they leave any residue behind?

RC

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Has anyone tried Jet Dry or similar dishwasher products to help water run off? I wonder if they leave any residue behind?
I have tried it. Probably used too much but I noted an interesting effect that let me to discontinue using it. I had cleaned some blued steel parts, hands and screws, and after the rinse the blueing was gone. Just a clean steel surface was left. I had to re-blue the parts.

Uhralt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TopherDale
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre