A good case for using wax.

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Chris Radano, Apr 25, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After years of searching, I finally found a lackscilduhr mit surrerwerk. These clocks are around, but not in the USA so much, and not easy to find a German seller that would ship one to the USA.

Anyway.....this looks like a good example...looks complete, but dirty. The dial looks alright, but a little deteriorated. I immediately wanted to preserve the dial. So, I applied a couple coats of Renaissance wax. I had to be careful with the spandrel decals...they already had a little loss from mold and mildew. The wax took an ever so slight bit more off the spandrels, but nothing significant. The remainder of the dial suffered no loss from the wax. Now, the dial can be handled without as much caution, because it's protected.

But, using the wax caused an unexpected result. The dial is bowed. And the clock came with it's side doors. When I received the clock, the doors when installed would not swing all the way out, hitting the bowed sides of the dial. After I waxed the dial, the doors can swing all the way out without hitting the sides of the dial. Neat!

The clock didn't come with weights or pendulum. If anyone can tell me the specs of surrerwerk weights and pendulum length, that would be appreciated. Perhaps I will feature this clock in it's own post later, when I have more time.

Attached Files:

2. hambyl

hambyl Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 14, 2012
    I have three of these clocks that need work but are low on a very long to do list. One of these pictures has two sets of the weights that came with them and a pendulum of the type they use. This pendulum is 35” but may not be the right one. In any case it is the right type. Let me know at Hamby.lbh@gmail.com if I can be of further help.

639F97D2-B764-46C3-9A55-5244FF2BE04D.jpeg F44A8B71-672F-465B-A48F-D7EFA718CD1B.jpeg

3. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You and I both. Yes, that looks like the correct type of pendulum...probably for one of your clocks.