A glass dome for skeleton clock?

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Weight Driven, Feb 5, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Weight Driven

Weight Driven Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Am looking for a large oval dome for a ca 1870 English skeleton clock. The dimensions for the dome are 14" wide, 8" deep and at least 21" high. I've tried glassdomes.com with no success. At this point I would even consider a plastic alternative. Thanks for any help with this.

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Oled

Oled Registered User

Dec 8, 2009
    Male
    Moscow, Russia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    thanks guys for the leads. Any way you cut it, this won't be cheap, maybe even more than I paid for the clock.

5. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    You don't say where you are, but there used to be a shop selling glass domes behind the Duomo in Florence, down the street to the left, about a half block. Sorry, no name or data.
    Another option is to approach a local glassblower. No shipping should substantially reduce the cost.

6. Kim St.Dennis Sr.

Kim St.Dennis Sr. Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Mar 20, 2003
    Male
    Clock Restorer
    Los Angeles
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    I`ve seen such glass domes on eBay on a routine basis. Usually running around $150-200. and $30 shipping. Am I allowed to mention the eBay seller/company?

8. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I have been watching ebay for the past couple of months and have yet to see one that size though I would imagine one will eventually show up, I hope.

9. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would be better if you used the private message system to tell WD the name of the ebay seller.

10. acmeaviator

acmeaviator Registered User

Apr 29, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Region Flag:
    I buy my domes on Amazon.com -could not find one that size today but may be available on occasion. The ones I buy are the more typical 5.5 x 10 lol

11. Peter Mann

Peter Mann Registered User

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Photographer and Ex Kodak
    Wimborne Dorset UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am after a similar dome. Is there anyone at all who supples oval shaped Perspex, Acrylic etc domes for Skeleton clocks? Peter UK

12. Oldfathertime

Oldfathertime Registered User

Sep 8, 2010
    Retired Farmer.
    S.West U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As far as I am aware, although I could be wrong, perspex domes would be very hard to obtain unless you can find a Company that produces clear acrylic or plastic items that would fall under the same manufacture process and if so could be quite costly. On the other hand, try and find a glass manufacturer that 'blows' glass. This would also be quite costly but would be a better bet as there are I should think more glass producers than plastic/acrylic producers that could do it for you. You would probably need to take the clock, with its base, to the blowers so that they could produce a replacement dome to the correct shape to fit the base and height to accomodate the clock.