A German Made clock?

orso

Jun 9, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Bought this cheap clock at an auction. It looks like still working both time and strike side. I'm curios to know what it is; the are no TM stamps on a serial # on both plates and on the back "12/200" tha I assume is related to the pendulum length. Bezel and glass are not attached but I have them. The bezel opens from right to left. The The spring are in barrels from which the main wheel can be detached for maintenance. IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1571.JPG IMG_1572.JPG IMG_1573.JPG IMG_1574.JPG IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1576.JPG IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1580.JPG If "12" is the pendulum length cannot be in inches, so looks like not an American clock. Is it a German clock?

Thanks

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
For me, it’s hard to say who the maker is without a stamp on the movement. I think it appears to have been made in the 1930’s or perhaps early 40’s? I don’t think this sort of “luxury” would have been made during the war effort, so it probably was produced either before or after.

If it is German, before the war is most likely.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
afaik it was Kienzle who used the bajonet cap barrels in their lower cost line.German industrial movement with quick-out barrels in any case,made early between the wars.12cm pendulum length,200 bpm.
Burkhard

orso

Jun 9, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Thanks, Brian. I was intrigued by the movement, new to me. I think it only needs cleaning: has been running for 3 hrs now.

orso

Jun 9, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Thanks, Burkhard. This thing is exactly as you described it. I found it interesting the barrel feature.

chiminIn

Aug 17, 2016
China Grove, N. C.
Country
Region
the gong hammer, coil, and movement look like a smiths enfield that I have, they are made in England and are usually marked so on the dial. just my opinion

chronologiker

Deceased
Jun 28, 2017
Country
Greetings Orso,

I think it´s German and it was imported to GB about 1937, when German clocks were prevented from the British market by special tariff of duties. And therefore your movement/clock has no logo. But the case might be British.

If the dimensions of your plates are 102mm x 85mm and distance between the plates 37mm, it´s a URGOS UW 700. Please prove.

Chronologiker

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Greetings Orso,

I think it´s German and it was imported to GB about 1937, when German clocks were prevented from the British market by special tariff of duties. And therefore your movement/clock has no logo. But the case might be British.

If the dimensions of your plates are 102mm x 85mm and distance between the plates 37mm, it´s a URGOS UW 700. Please prove.

Chronologiker
Chronologiker,

Around 1922 or so, British law required clocks and movements imported into the U.K. to be marked "Foreign", regardless of whether or not a trademark was imprinted on the movement or dial face. This leads me to assume that the clock is either not German or , if it is German, it is of an earlier vintage, such as the very early 1920's or of the decade of 1910 to 1920,

Regards.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Chronologiker,

Around 1922 or so, British law required clocks and movements imported into the U.K. to be marked "Foreign", regardless of whether or not a trademark was imprinted on the movement or dial face. This leads me to assume that the clock is either not German or , if it is German, it is of an earlier vintage, such as the very early 1920's or of the decade of 1910 to 1920,

Regards.
You seem to refer to the 1926 supplement to the Merchandise Marks Act.

But, one question to the group: How do we know this clock was ever imported into the UK?

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
You seem to refer to the 1926 supplement to the Merchandise Marks Act.

But, one question to the group: How do we know this clock was ever imported into the UK?
Steven,

I do not think we have confirmed that the clock was imported into the U.K. To avoid confusion - my response to Chronologiker was based on his assumption that the clock was German and imported into the U.K. If his assumption is correct, then the date of manufacture would need to be prior to 1926 (thanks for that correction of dates).

To be frank, I think at this point, we can only opine on the origin of the movement.

Regards.

chronologiker

Deceased
Jun 28, 2017
Country
Indeed, I was wrong: it is not shure that this clock has ever been exported to GB.

On the other hand, we know German movements of that time with the mark of British makers. And I assume there are also unmarked German movements of that time that have been smuggeld to GB.

But I think this movement was made by URGOS about 1935/40.

Chronologiker

orso

Jun 9, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Thanks, Chronologiker and New2clocks for the infos.
Sorry for my late answer; had eyes surgery and have not been playing with clocks or PC for a while.
Yes the plates are 102 x 85 mm, in addition all the levers are steel and the main spring covers are brass plated steel. Maybe steel was cheeper than brass or was brass needed for other uses.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Thanks, Chronologiker and New2clocks for the infos.
Sorry for my late answer; had eyes surgery and have not been playing with clocks or PC for a while.
Yes the plates are 102 x 85 mm, in addition all the levers are steel and the main spring covers are brass plated steel. Maybe steel was cheeper than brass or was brass needed for other uses.
Orso,

Hopefully your eye surgery was nothing more than a Lasix procedure, and hopefully everything is good with your eyes.

Regards.

orso

Jun 9, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Hi, thanks. Yes, things seem ok for now. I had cataracts removed and bifocal lenses implanted. I was able to drive the day after, but close vision is not ok yet. It seems it take time to adjust.

orso

Jun 9, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Just a curiosity: I had to cut both barreled springs just below the holes; on one of them it was stamped "HK". Maybe a clue to the maker?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Hard to Know.
Just ignore me! ;)

Reactions: orso

orso

Jun 9, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Back to a possible identification.
"Hidden" under the basel door I found a clue that if not the maker identify the country of origin. It should be a German made clock; There it is marked " DRGM" that should mean :"Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster" - "Design Registration valid all over the Reichs".
May be Chronologiker can confirm?

IMG_1602.JPG

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Back to a possible identification.
"Hidden" under the basel door I found a clue that if not the maker identify the country of origin. It should be a German made clock; There it is marked " DRGM" that should mean :"Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster" - "Design Registration valid all over the Reichs".
May be Chronologiker can confirm?

View attachment 409435
Orso,

You are correct. This pertains to a type of German patent.

Regards.